linn sondek tt

Does anybody still buy this? I just noticed many of their old dealers are gone.i wonder why?
theoriginalthor1
 @paulcreed  The LP12 is colored..compared to what?? Your Sony CD player!LOL. Spindle bearing can be damaged easily???? What the heck are you doing to that poor table, LOL. Bouncing it around in the back of your truck, like someone else here, LMAO. 
The Linn sound --what is that? Lose the Linn sound and keep the Linn sound...come on sunshine!
I am not sure how often any of the posters go to the orchestra.  I go often.  In all honesty and this is with my ears, a good direct drive sounds more like the real thing than most belt drives.  The Linn LP 12 to my ears, does not sound as much like the real thing.  Its sounds more like a recording of the real thing I guess is a way to put it.  However, the sound a Linn makes although somewhat colored, is very nice to listen to.  The Linn as well as many belt drives do not have the drive and the dynamics of a real orchestra.  That being said, I still like the way the Linn sounds.  Its very pleasing to the ear.  Many times by isolating power supply you can get blacker backgrounds and some direct drives allow for the power supply to be in a separate chassis.  The Linn offers a separate power supply which does allow for pretty black backgrounds, no doubt about it.  If I had one, I would probably keep it and upgrade it.  It is a worthy table for sure.
These tables are almost 50 years old. They have been passed down, bought, sold, shipped in any box laying around. Sitting in basements for years. Cartridge install with arm mounted. Shipped with platter in place and tone arm mounted. Then people listen to them and judge them. Or they listen to them set up perfectly and don't like them. It doesn't matter. There ears don't like the sound. As for me Dave I've never damaged anything. Yes, the Linn is colored to me. It has bloated bass, piano's are veiled in its basic form, which can be fun to listen to. The ittok to me is a little bright. Colored to what? Any table that goes for perfect studio play back sound, huge bass, super detailed, the big American sound. I find the Linn to be smooth with all the detail I need in a relaxing presentation. To me I call that's coloration vs the American sound. Maybe compare an old hollow body Gretch vs a Fender Strat. The Gretch has more body and soul  but the Strat is cleaner and faster, you pick what grabs you.

@paulcreed   Again and again I guess i have to repeat the same old thing....THIS TABLE SOUNDS VERY DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON ITS VINTAGE!!!! 

If you heard an older model with the Valhalla power supply and the old Ittok arm, what you stated makes some sense, IF you heard a new Klimax versions with the Radikal D and the newer Ekos Se..or another great arm, like a 4 point 9...it makes no sense!
Compared to most American tables, I guess you are talking VPI's here...then I personally wouldn't swap the LP12 for any of them.

Your analogy with guitars makes me laugh...The Gretch is good for rockabilly and some jazz, that's what I use it for; the Strat and the Tele ( you forgot that one) is what i use for leads and everything else....
Not really a great analogy, IME.