linn sondek tt

Does anybody still buy this? I just noticed many of their old dealers are gone.i wonder why?
theoriginalthor1
Do you guys seriously believe that if the LP12 wasn’t a great sounding table that it would have garnered the success it has?

Yes.
The LP12 is THE example for perfect marketing.
Most audiophiles have no clue and are deaf like a stone. Independent from money..

I am really shocked to see such a question today.

@syntax. We are supposed to believe that Linn sold thousands of their turntable, simply due to excellent marketing!... According to you..no one that bought the rig was able to hear well enough to determine that is was faulty and therefore they were deaf like a stone. Thousands of deaf folks that just couldn’t hear all of its faults...unlike you, I guess ;0)
Great discussion.
The LP12 is great and you’re a fool.
The LP12 stinks and you’re a fool.
Despite disagreement on many things, there is clear common ground on one thing.
@bima LOL that’s great!
However one thinks about the LP 12 sound you have to admit that it’s a great business model but not so great for the consumer. How can you have that many improvements/upgrades? If it needed improvement it should’ve been incorporated into the next model at the base price!  And the price of these improvements/upgrades are just obscene for what you get!
That is why I would never buy an LP 12. Because I think it’s a scam and I would feel like a fool for buying in…But again I’ve never heard one so they may sound great. 
Yes, Linn was extremely well marketed...

Please note also that they were the first (?) manufacturer to shake the establishment by insisting that motor units/turntables sounded different and could dictate the sound of your system.
Consequently, they challenged potential buyers to AB the LP12 against competing turntables.
Dealers & reviewers did this constantly, using the LP12 as a reference product.
After hearing, most people bought the LP12 hence the fanatical following that Linn enjoyed for many years.

I’ve always said of even basic Linns that owners don’t know just how good a turntable it is until they use it with more resolving ancillaries. Running my old Valhalla-ed LP12 through bigger & better amps & electrostats revealed an altogether different beast, one that felt irreplaceable.

I no longer own that T/T but you won’t hear any bad-mouthing of LP12s in this house! ;)