Vinyl System Upgrade Path Recommendations

Hey gang! New to the forum but I’ve been really enjoying reading through old threads. I would be interested in the community’s thoughts on a natural upgrade path for my system.

Current System:

• Pioneer PL-530 w/ Audio Technica AT 13 Ea
  • Apt Holman Preamplifier
  • Eico ST-70 (using as a power amp, line in)
  • Totem Arros

I listen to a wide variety of genres but with an emphasis on jazz and more recently classical. Overall the system performs well. I’m getting a good warmth for my taste and decent detail.

Moving forward I’d like to pull a little more clarity and separation out, but not create a clinical reproduction. I do dig the warmer sound. I’m also interested in trying to reduce background noise and pops/clicks. I’m already big on cleaning my LPs which has helped a ton, but I’m curious where to invest next.

I’ve also started listing more on headphones (Schiit Jotunheim + Hifiman HE400i) where I notice even more background noise.

So what do think? Better stylus / cartridge? Different TT? Alternative phono stage? Cables… ?

I try to be conservative with my spend (everything I own was purchased used), but I’m not afraid to shell out where appropriate.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

128x128designtaylor
You don't mention your LP cleaning method. Without getting into what equipment you should/could upgrade (there's an endless list of what's available, for me, it's impossible to arrive at the just-right combination for you).

My recommendation is to avail yourself to an ultrasonic RCM. That will allow you to better enjoy what you have now, with quieter surfaces in playback. I built my own, for under $200. Google bbTX's DIY design on DIY Audio. Once you're listening to clean records, you'll better know how you stand. It won't make for silent surfaces, but you will notice a significant improvement.

Regards,
Dan
I would suggest going to a few live concerts of the music you like to listen to.....if you can determine how important  sound that sounds like the concert........enlarge your sound budget if you think the effort is worth it.

I would say other then clean records your next step may be a better cart, the AT isn't bad for a starter cart (sub $100) but moving up to a better fixed styli's cart will open up your musical enjoyment, also try to find a tip profile that like a mico line, shibata etc will give you more detail but ellipticals are not bad either.  there is some very good AT carts that wont hurt your budget if your enjoying the AT sound. Then of course there is a huge amount of good carts for the budget minded audiophile. I'd look in the $150-$500 range as there is some very good MM carts in there that will be a huge step up from your cart. if you have a MC stage maybe an entry level MC cart but min there would be something like the Denon DL 301 at $250 new. I'd probably stick with MM for now until / unless you wanted to try a high output MC as I believe your pre has some loading selections not 100% sure there though.

thinking MM carts like the Otofon blue's, red's and bronzs. AT OC 9's very good cart for the money. there are so many I'd go on a site like needledoctor and take a look and then google search for reviews.

Agree with good record hygiene. Another thing to look at would be the Apt Holman's phono stage. While certainly good in it's day, I would believe a bit better outboard phono stage would be in order. IMO.
I believe in reducing the noise from your AC line before adding upgrades to your analogue.
   Are you using any power conditioning? Lowering the noise from your mains will help reveal more detail in your music.

And yes, get a record cleaner. This will result in lower noise and more detail from each record.