Coupling vs Decoupling

I’m new to this forum and have been doing much reading. I’m aware working with the room and equipment can produce dramatic changes in sound. One topic I’m lost with is coupling vs decoupling. When, where and how to apply each method to produce the best outcome?  

My current system is KEF R900 towers with matching center, R600C and surrounds, R300 and a pair of JL E112 subs flanking a Sony A1E TV.  The room is a bonus room approx 24’ x 14’ with all centered on the 14’ wall. 

Currently the towers are equipped with spiked plinths and subs sit directly on the carpet with their OE feet.  Any feedback about how to best manage acoustic vibrations and when/where to apply coupling or decoupling methods is greatly appreciated. 
jdeickhoff
@geoffkait - fair comment. I offered it not as a complete set of solutions but a starting point to understand the differences. Spring thing is good here (MinusK), at least under my turntable (~238 lbs with plinth).
I have my OHM 5000's on a homemade isolation stand. 4 aluminum cones with 2 granite slabs sandwiched with rubber and cork for dampening. I built a wood cradle around it so the speakers would be less likely to roll off. I have wood floors covered with carpet. 
jdeickhoff
the floor is a second story carpeted wood floor in a bonus room above the garage. The TV and components sit directly on a wood console
Always de-couple your speakers and equipment from a wooden floor even if it's carpeted, unless you want the floor to act as a sound board and ruin your bass.

Cement slab floor you can couple to.

Cheers George
@georgehifi  Agree with you about wood floors.  And coupling to a concrete slab floor can yield fine results... but, when this issue came up a couple years ago, I decided to decouple my main speakers and subwoofers and what I hear from that is greater clarity through the entire frequency range.

Why?  With decoupling, the energy from my speakers is dissipating across the carpeted floor rather than being transmitted into the slab underneath and then reflected back into my equipment rack and speakers causing a slight smearing and loss of detail to the sound.  It was quite definitive and after experimenting back and forth there is no going back to coupling for me.

The bonus benefit to the rest of the family is that my basement listening room is not rattling the upstairs when heavy bass is present in the music!