Upcoming Technics SP-10R (100th Anniversary Model)

Ok GAE owners, now you can sell your turntables, because upcoming Technics 100th Anniversary model will be a new version of the reference SP-10mk3 and they call it SP-10R. Finally!

http://www.technics.com/uk/about/press/releases/20170830-sp-10r/

"Berlin, Germany (30 August 2017) – Technics has today announced the launch of the Reference Class SP-10R, its most premium analogue, direct drive turntable to date, which is anticipated to hit the market in early summer 2018. The news comes as Technics unveils a prototype of the new, cutting-edge turntable with the world’s top-level* S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio and rotational stability for the first time at this year’s IFA."

"Reference Class Turntable Promising Outstanding Results

The SP-10R features a brand new, coreless direct drive motor which, in addition to the two-sided rotor drive system that was used in the SL-1200G, boasts stator coils on both sides of the rotor, for a more powerful and accurate sound."

"The heavy platter features a three-layer structure consisting of brass, aluminum die-cast and deadening rubber, just like the platter of the SL-1200G. By optimising the natural frequency of each layer, external vibrations are thoroughly suppressed resulting in a beautifully clear and crisp audio experience."

"The SP-10R also features a new ultra-low-noise switching power supply, which, compared to a power supply unit using a transformer, is better at suppressing unwanted humming sounds and vibrations. The power supply unit is separate from the main turntable, preventing unwelcome noise from being transmitted to the turntable unit, for a sharper and clearer sound."

FIRST VIDEO with SP-10R:

https://youtu.be/g0AjawoIqmg

https://youtu.be/DKuYVWl8TpY

https://youtu.be/dFXzMs-fb88

https://youtu.be/0U2xkWCiQZw

P.S. Should we expect $15 000 or more ? And the new plinth comin soon?

Power supply looks funny, but the design of the drive is great, i think we should wait for the new version of the EPA-100 soon. Good news the GAE was not the last turntable !!!

128x128chakster
I haven’t seen that many members have heard the SP-10R or have purchased one yet? @tzh21y was able to hear one and loved it. Haven’t seen an update yet from JP. Checked his website and no update on blog. Very curious how the 10R compares to the mkIII. IMO, if it’s as good as the mkIII it’s a bargain at $10,000. I adore my vintage Luxman PD-444. I’d love to sit the 100th anniversary DD turntable that started it all next to it. As Dwight said in "The Office" whats the skinny?

And last year, Pani thought that the Audio Teknika ART9 was the greatest cartridge ever. (My deliberate exaggeration of his opinion.) This year he is on to something else and has sold the ART9 He is only human like you and I. Why hinge your thinking on his opinion?  I don’t care how tweaked would be an SL 1210, the SL1200 G and the other new versions of the SL 1200 really have almost nothing in common structurally with the old line. Everything about the new series of SL 1200s is superior to the old. The only thing similar is the physical appearance from external view. From the get-go the SL 1210 motor, platter, and bearing just cannot compete with the motor, platter,  and bearing of the new series.
I agree on the human part. I did hear some better carts and hence moved on from ART9. Between the 1200G and Sp10 Mk2, I have again "heard" them performing in my room for weeks before I said one was better than the other. In fact the Sp10 Mk2 sounded better quite instantly but I took some time to really solidify my observation and write it down here. Theoretically one can say 1200G is superior but in practice I did not find it better. It sounded smaller more compressed and less fluid overall compared to a Sp10 Mk2. 

BTW, this is not just my observation. I know few other analog enthusiasts and also some Technics dealers who have reported the same after comparing the Mk2 and 1200G. The main point in favour of Sp10 mk2 is a higher drive and momentum in music. But then 1200G is a complete TT whereas Mk2 needs to be put together with a good plinth, isolation and all which goes in favour of 1200G. But not sonically.

Let me go one step further and say this. Some of these guys have compared the Sp10 Mk3 and Sp10-R. Every one of them preferred the Sp10 Mk3. Again same observation, Mk3 has much more drive and pace while 10-R is more audiophile kinds, sophisticated and nice types.

I wont mention the sources or names but I can tell you that those guys who have reported these comparisons are also on this forum and possibly reading these posts too. But they do not want to be named for obvious reasons. 

BTW, modded 1200 and 1200G should be a no brainer, 1200G any day.
But they do not want to be named for obvious reasons.

I can’t see any reason to hide important information from the readers, this forum is about contribution, but surely it’s subjective. One day we will see this test of top old and top new Technics. I hope.

Guess I shouldn't sell my SP10mk3 just yet  :-)

agree with chakster - not sure why its a secret what sound people prefer.  does not make them right in every system, its just an opinion.
Because they have commercial interest in Technics or they have friends who have commercial interest in Technics current TTs. Nothing else. You dont expect industry insiders to speak such truths in general.