Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
Funny some of the suggestions for the foreign bands. I love Neil, U2, Rush, the Stones, the Band, etc...but they ain't 'merican.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would likely be #1 in my book 
R.E.M and the Talking Heads could argue for a next spot
But I can't believe no one has mentioned Steely Dan??? 7 phenomenal albums before the pause. Jazzy yes but the quality and breadth of their work over 10+ years has few American peers. 
Steely Dan are and were astonishing. Becker's solo albums are so good I was mostly angry about his death because his output stoped. My most recent live experience with those guys was a show with Elvis Costello (!) opening a couple of years ago...the groups they assembled for recent live shows was heart stopping...best backup singers, tight utterly pro monster players all around..Jon Herington...man. I have every original vinyl of 'em from the 70s, all the solo stuff, and my former neighbor Elliot Scheiner got a grammy for Gaucho, which is still an amazing album I listen to often.

Agree on Steely Dan. I have always loved them, but when Walter Becker died I spent a few weeks listening to their albums over and over, coming to the conclusion that no American band has ever surpassed the quality of their albums, especially the first four.