Small dedicated listening rooms

Potentially downsizing from a 17’ x 22’ room to a 8’6 x 10’ room.
Currently have huge three-way floor standers that would swallow the room.
Mostly ARC equipment.
Thoughts on speakers with a smaller footprint that don’t have to be too far off the walls?
Budget of 15k max. Used is fine.

luckytiger1
Without knowing any more than you’ve stated, I’d seriously consider a headphone set-up and the most comfortable recliner I could find. My listening space is 12’ x 11’ x 10’. Any smaller and I’d sell it all and go for the ‘phones. 
Thanks for all your comments. The room has a high ceiling and actually measures fairly well. Pretty competent in acoustic theory and room treatment so back to the original question...

“Thoughts on speakers with a smaller footprint that don’t need to be too far off the walls?”
I have (the clue) speakers (see My System), no sub and sounds great in my small room. They are a bit of a pain to setup properly, however worth the effort. I would suggest you look for a speaker that is front ported.
luckytiger1,

I have your exact situation. Despite moving to a larger home, I’m in a room the same size as yours with 10’ ceiling. There are no absolutes, but here is what I have done to continue to enjoy this hobby. I use stand-mounted lspeakers (Sonus Faber) supplemented by headphones. If you are new to headphones, you may be surprised at how satisfying a good headphone system can sound. I recommend a tube amp with electrostatic phones. YMMV!
I also have a small dedicated listening room. It's approximately 9'x13'.  I have some modest acoustic treatments. I run 3 HSU subs. My speakers are about 30" or so from the back wall,and the center of the speakers about 15" from side wall. (Speakers are on the 9' wall)  I alternate between Nola Boxer 2's,and Hornshoppe Great Horned Heils. To my ears,and some friends ears,imaging is very,very good. I don't crank the subs,and bass is full and satisfying.  I believe a small room can deliver great sound with a little patience.