Small dedicated listening rooms

Potentially downsizing from a 17’ x 22’ room to a 8’6 x 10’ room.
Currently have huge three-way floor standers that would swallow the room.
Mostly ARC equipment.
Thoughts on speakers with a smaller footprint that don’t have to be too far off the walls?
Budget of 15k max. Used is fine.

luckytiger1
Duke, you have possibly the most comprehensive answers every time you post on the gon. Always a good read. Hats off to you!
Without knowing any more than you’ve stated, I’d seriously consider a headphone set-up and the most comfortable recliner I could find. My listening space is 12’ x 11’ x 10’. Any smaller and I’d sell it all and go for the ‘phones. 
Thanks for all your comments. The room has a high ceiling and actually measures fairly well. Pretty competent in acoustic theory and room treatment so back to the original question...

“Thoughts on speakers with a smaller footprint that don’t need to be too far off the walls?”
I have (the clue) speakers (see My System), no sub and sounds great in my small room. They are a bit of a pain to setup properly, however worth the effort. I would suggest you look for a speaker that is front ported.
luckytiger1,

I have your exact situation. Despite moving to a larger home, I’m in a room the same size as yours with 10’ ceiling. There are no absolutes, but here is what I have done to continue to enjoy this hobby. I use stand-mounted lspeakers (Sonus Faber) supplemented by headphones. If you are new to headphones, you may be surprised at how satisfying a good headphone system can sound. I recommend a tube amp with electrostatic phones. YMMV!