Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Finsup - Listened to two of my favorite 5.1 DVDs last night: "Best of Sessions At 54th Street Vol. 1" and Peter Gabriel's "Play". All I can say is wow! I still have to dial in the channel balance much more carefully than I have so far, but here's what I heard: Although my center channel is still a Vandersteen VCC-1, back-to-front uniformity of timbre was spot on. The sound pans around following the cameras on the Sessions DVD, and the effect was spooky. Plenty of spine-chills. Also, this setup easily floated sound between the front and surround speakers, above my head(!), and immediately behind my head. Detail resolution by the truckload, even exposing some kinks in the mixes on the Peter Gabriel DVD. Surround soundtracks on films should be a hoot with my rig once I get it balanced right. Note that the MWT surrounds are elevated on two cinderblocks for hieght. Now I really have a Jones for the Ohm center channel - darned economy! Finsup, IMHO, the Ohm Walsh series makes an incredible surround-sound setup.

Mapman - I agree with your take on the Ohms and poor rock recordings. I just got the best of the Replacements CD ("Did You Know Who I Thought I Was?"). The sound was underwhelming. Interesingly, as the tracks progressed to later recordings, the sound improved slightly. The last track, which is listed as "re-recorded", sounded noticeably better than the rest.
Bond,

Your surround sound experience with the Walshes is very interesting. I have not read much about Walshes in surround sound systems and I do not do surround sound, so this is all news to me. My gut instinct is that the wide range omni Walsh design is a natural for surround sound despite the fact that the basic Walsh design was in existence way before home surround sound systems.

BTW I noticed that someone has a pair of wall mount Walshes for surround sound up for auction here currently.
Bond, you are using just "regular" micro-talls right? I was talking with John Strohbeen about using them for surround duty, he says they will work fine, but the omni version of them works even better for surround duties. I would love to hear the differences as I was thinking of possibly trying that myself with my 3000's as the fronts.

Map, glad to hear the pre is okay and that your new Bels are doing the business! Enjoy!
The surround thing is interesting to me as well. I'm hoping to have surround within the next year, and another set of MWT's or the MW Walls is on my list.

I also plan on skipping the center channel and using the speakers in phantom mode.
"I was talking with John Strohbeen about using them for surround duty, he says they will work fine, but the omni version of them works even better for surround duties."

I think the omni version does not employ the internal damping in the wall facing directions (at least not in the same configuration) and the super tweeter is mounted to face up rather than angled forward. There may be other tweaks as well to go along with these.