Recommendations for a few high SQ classical CDs

I have a modest collection of classical music CDs, most of it symphonic works, maybe 20-30 CDs at most. Most of my musical interest is with rock, roots rock and blues but I do enjoy classical music but have limited knowledge and experience.

I am also a new audiophile with my first hifi system for about a month now.

I would like some specific recommendations on just a few symphonies (for now). What I am looking for at this point is good CD recordings rather than the nature of the performance/conductor/orchestra. In other words, I'm looking for SQ first and performance quality second. I know that might sound backwards but I don't have enough knowledge to have a major preference between performances but I can hear SQ. Certainly a great recording of a great performance is ideal.

To keep things limited I am specifically interested in these works:

Beethoven's 9th
Mahler's 4th
Dvorak's 4th
Brahm's 4th

Certainly open to other symphonies by these composers. I have the works listed above and other symphonies by them as well.

Thanks for any recommendations,

George

n80
And, if you ever want to feel "less serious", but are in the mood for a guilty pleasure, New Year’s Concert 1987 with Karajan. However, you have to get Japanese K2 CD and not the regular one for $10 or so.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Herbert-von-Karajan-New-Years-Concert-Numbered-Limited-Edition-K2-HD-Impo...

glupson, thanks, I will add those to my list.

bdp24, thanks for that suggestion. I have always thought of 'classical' being from Bach through Beethoven's early work...but am probably mistaken. But yes, in regard to this thread I meant pretty much everything up to Copland, etc, in the popular sense of classical.

I am familiar with some Bach, some Handel and some Vivaldi as most people are. But other than a few exceptions Baroque has not drawn my interest....which is not to say that it won't, but I'll have to make an effort. Years ago when I decided to dive into southern literature I realized that I needed to understand what it was built on. And while it is still my primary literary focus I came to love and enjoy Homer, Virgil, Dante, Cervantes and Shakespeare. ( I wish I had as much music as I do books!). Which is all to say, if I take the plunge into Classical and Romantic era music, I'll probably want to at least explore the foundational stuff. I do have 8 or 10 Haydn symphonies which I have not listened to in ages.

But I will say, a lot of my rock taste is progressive...so the long, heavy, dramatic symphonies of the Romantics fit well with that rock genre.
The San Francisco Symphony runs their own music label which is always of very high quality for both the performance and the recording. They have all of Mahler’s Symphonies (including the 4th). They also have the Beethoven 9th. If you get these on SACD, they are recorded in natural 5 channel surround sound that is REALLY AWESOME if you have the system to play it on.

https://bluecoastmusic.com/store?f%5B0%5D=field_record_label%3A139
n80,

Once upon a time, I heard a report on the radio that talked about popularity of opera among people who otherwise prefer punk rock. It talked about similarities between those two, what appears to be completely different, styles of music. I cannot repeat it now, but they dissected it and it made sense.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=911160