Recommendations for a few high SQ classical CDs

I have a modest collection of classical music CDs, most of it symphonic works, maybe 20-30 CDs at most. Most of my musical interest is with rock, roots rock and blues but I do enjoy classical music but have limited knowledge and experience.

I am also a new audiophile with my first hifi system for about a month now.

I would like some specific recommendations on just a few symphonies (for now). What I am looking for at this point is good CD recordings rather than the nature of the performance/conductor/orchestra. In other words, I'm looking for SQ first and performance quality second. I know that might sound backwards but I don't have enough knowledge to have a major preference between performances but I can hear SQ. Certainly a great recording of a great performance is ideal.

To keep things limited I am specifically interested in these works:

Beethoven's 9th
Mahler's 4th
Dvorak's 4th
Brahm's 4th

Certainly open to other symphonies by these composers. I have the works listed above and other symphonies by them as well.

Thanks for any recommendations,

George

n80
Another new (for you perhaps) symphony that is highly regarded and enjoyed by most, is Sibelius' Symphony #2  conducted by Osmo Vanska with the Minnesota Orchestra on a BIS SACD. It includes another relatively accessible performance of Symphony #5. 

And, another very exciting piece of music in very high quality (both sound and performance) Stravinsky's Firebird Suite by Eiji on Reference Recordings.
Any of the named Haydn Symphonies conducted by Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martins on Philips.
There is another symphony by Copland you must hear which is "Appalachian Spring" Bernstien and the New York Symphony orchestra.  I have also have Copland conducting himself as well.  Both are very good.  I can also recommend an audiophile Sampler CD by -Showcase "Opus 3"  it contains an excellent  recording of Ravel's "Bolero"  It also has a SACD layer and is made in Germany mainly of Scandinavian artists.
Thanks for the excellent recommendations. I'm making a list.

A lot of my little collection is the from the Cleveland Symphony orchestra either Szell or Dohnanyi conducting. These came from my late uncle who was an aficionado. Record companies sent him music to preview so we often got some of his extras. I do not know if he particularly liked the Cleveland Symphony or just had extra ones. 

In my original post I mentioned Dvorak's 4th but I meant the 9th. One of my favorites and it seems certain to me that Williams borrowed heavily for his Star Wars themes.

Side story (I have two). The little former mill city that I live in has just founded a symphony orchestra. My sister in-law is on the founding committee and my wife has helped them with fund raising. They are an excellent group of musicians from around the region (Charlotte, Atlanta, etc). The conductor is from New York. They will be doing Dvorak's 9th for their opener next month. Can't wait. I think it is a wise choice as it will be very accessible even for us local hicks.

Second story (which relates to posts above):  One of the other board members is the chair of the piano department at the University of Colorado.  He is in a duo with a violinist named Bill Terwilliger who teaches violin at the University of South Carolina. They have a number of CDs under the name of Opus Two. They specialize in the American composers, especially Copland. They will be performing with our new symphony from time to time. They are friends of the family and I must admit have never been really into Copland. I think it is time for me to broaden my horizons as I suspect my wife and her sister are likely to stay involved in the symphony.

Anyway, you've all given me a good place to start building from. Thanks.

George