Technics Turntables...really???

Ok, what am I missing? When I hear Technics turntables, I think Craigslist and DJ tables. What am I missing? 
pawlowski6132
nkonor,

Yes, Ralph modded mine, too, for a Triplanar U12.  I have worked out the mat issues, center weight, and peripheral ring - - now it sings so neutrally that it is just music from the tape, it seems to my ears.
I’ve been using a stock SL-1600 MK2 for over 30 years.  I bought it while stationed in Germany back in the early 80's.  I've considered upgrading the arm and cart, but lately, I've been doing more streaming than playing vinyl.  While I love the sound of vinyl, streaming from Tidal and Jazz Radio.com is a lot easier.
jbrrp1,

I thought that someone had a 1200G modded with a 12" Triplanar. Happy for both of us. It is a SOTA rig. I settled on a Oracle hard acrylic mat and a HRS 315 gram record weight. I have been leery of using an outer ring. Would you share what you are using? Is it easy to use? I was diagnoised with an incurable disease in Sept 2017. Makes little tasks, seem almost insurmountable at times. Is it worth the extra effort? I could possibly use it on my "better" days.