Technics Turntables...really???

Ok, what am I missing? When I hear Technics turntables, I think Craigslist and DJ tables. What am I missing? 
pawlowski6132
I’ve been using a stock SL-1600 MK2 for over 30 years.  I bought it while stationed in Germany back in the early 80's.  I've considered upgrading the arm and cart, but lately, I've been doing more streaming than playing vinyl.  While I love the sound of vinyl, streaming from Tidal and Jazz Radio.com is a lot easier.
jbrrp1,

I thought that someone had a 1200G modded with a 12" Triplanar. Happy for both of us. It is a SOTA rig. I settled on a Oracle hard acrylic mat and a HRS 315 gram record weight. I have been leery of using an outer ring. Would you share what you are using? Is it easy to use? I was diagnoised with an incurable disease in Sept 2017. Makes little tasks, seem almost insurmountable at times. Is it worth the extra effort? I could possibly use it on my "better" days.
nkonor,

I am using a ring that I made myself, following the example of a discontinued model.  It is a constrained layer damped ring consisting of two .080" thick stainless steel layers that sandwich a .125" acrylic layer, all bonded using a more ductile cyanoacrylate glue (Loctite 480).  I had the ring CNC machined from large squares that I bonded together.  It is "one of a kind", to be sure, but it seems to work very well.  It would be fun to compare it directly to the same ring sizing made simply from stainless steel alone (I will probably try this at some point), just to see if the damping addition matters much, because it does increase the hassle and expense of making one to add such layers.

I am using a Stillpoints Ultra 5 LP Isolator as my center weight, and my mat is a 5.5mm acrylic mat that sits on top of a 1.5mm foam silicone rubber for damping and adhesion to the platter surface.  I really like the total combined affect, with the ring making the final adjustment that brought it all home.  It seems that the ring just ensures that the LP surface is in nice contact with the mat so the mat can do its job of draining the energy from the needle's vibrations.

Placing a ring is futsy, no question; and you need a spot to store it safely between plays.  My ring is not perfectly balanced, as its overall thickness varies by a range of .005" around the circle; but the direct drive of the Technics does not care one wit - - power to spare, by far, and the servo correction makes it steady, regardless, it seems.  I hear tonal purity and sustain on piano and organ notes that I have never before heard on vinyl.