Which material sounds better for speakers construction? Wood, Ply or MDF?

Im guessing they use mdf these days because its cheaper.

vinny55
i should probably disclose i use a bunch of Vandersteen and HRS products......
Which material sounds better for speakers construction? Wood, Ply or MDF?

I haven’t read any of the answers, but something to ponder over which is material is going to flex the least, and becoming a sound board at certain frequencies in a speaker
In my younger years as a comp surfer, I tried all three in the centre stringer of my comp surfboards, this could be a good indication.
Flex and rebound is a good thing in a surfboard as it gives feel through a turn and rebound coming out of a turn (bit of a kick of speed) bit like snow skii’s when you get a good rhythm going in slalom racing

All three stringers (mdf wood ply) on surfboards being the same thickness, the one with the most initial flex is MDF as it has no grain it’s flexable but it doesn’t rebound (snap back) as good as, single ply of wood, single ply of wood doesn’t have the initial flex of the MDF though.

The stiffest with not much flex or rebound is the 3 ply of wood as all 3 plys are grained if different directions to each other and glued together.

So to me for speakers say thick 15 ply with all grains running in different directions will be stiffer, so not to flex much and become a sound board certain frequencies. Sure they will still have resonances but they should be well down and maybe easy to tune out with strategically placed bracing.

These guys think the same
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Shahinian+speaker+with+plywood&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&am...

Cheers George
If I had time I'd love to play around with this.  I'd try routing patterns in mdf and filling them with high strength concrete.  A bag of 6,500 psi concrete costs $8 and it's hard for me to believe it couldn't be used in combination with other materials to create a great box that didn't need to cost or weigh a ton.  
Someone used concrete years ago for a small cabinet.  Forget who.  It may have a resonance that doesn't work. Can be measured of course.
The Thiel CS 7 had a concrete baffle.  There have been others.  Thiel stopped using concrete because it was too hard to ship without breaking.  I think the performance was great.  

I think it'd be an interesting challenge to build a really high performing box that was made out of cheap materials.  I'm sure it's possible, although maybe it wouldn't be practical for a manufacturer to mass produce.  MDF and concrete are cheap.  aluminum isn't all that expensive.