Does anyone have any experience of hybrid valve and solid state power amps?

Hi guys

I ask this question because I recently had a listen to a JE Audio Dyad S400 power amp. I was very impressed by its performance, but, correct me if I'm wrong there don't seem to be many hybrids around, or are there?

What are your thoughts on how they compare to other designs?

bazb
+1 For NYAL Moscode 150! Designed by George Kaye. A four-tube front end driving a set of 4 MOSFETs per channel. Also available: the 300 and 600 (150 WPC and 300 WPC). 

Most hybrid amps have a valve input stage and solid state output. Roger Modjeski instead went with a bipolar input stage and valve driver and outputs stages in his Music Reference RM-200 amp. It’s a great amp (100w/ch, from only a pair of KT88 or 6550 tubes per!), residing in Stereophile’s Class A/Tube category for many years, where it is by a wide margin the lowest priced amp. Unique for a valve output-stage amp, it puts out more power at 4 ohms than at 8 (1, 2, 4, and 8 ohms taps provide. 1 and 2 ohms in a tube amp?!)) and has an unusually low output impedance for a valve amp, resulting in a more even frequency response than typical.

A well-kept secret (it’s not expensive or fashionable enough?), Music Reference having few dealers, doing no advertising, and infrequently reviewed (just like Eminent Technology products, designed by the great designer/engineer Bruce Thigpen). Modjeski (and Thigpen) has no interest in playing the frequent model-revision (one change to the amp in twenty years, now in Mk.2 guise), endless-update marketing game. His amps are keepers, rarely coming up for sale used. Buy one and concentrate on your music.

"A well-kept secret (it’s not expensive or fashionable enough?),"

Perhaps a well-kept secret but at $8,000 it's certainly not considered inexpensive. And there are a ton of other options out there at that price point.