The Legendary ? Infinity IRS V

Does anyone know anything about these speakers, their current market value or sound quality compared to more recent statement loudspeakers?

I remember hearing them once years ago at Lyric hi fi in New York, driven by gigantic Jadis tube monoblocks, a Goldmund turntable and reading in TAS that they were the holy grail of high end audio.

I am sure not too many were made but I cant recall seeing any for sale.

Was this speaker a real high end classic or just overhyped?
cwlondon
PS Audio have a pair they use as reference and are developing a line of speakers trying to better it.
we sold Infinity stocked eveything up to but not including IRS....
hopefully the work at PSA will bear fruit.
I don't think so Joe.  I just bought an older Leyla ASL amp with 845s over this last weekend as a remarkable coincidence.  It is a single tube per side (22 watts). I will have to find an appropriate speaker to use with it, but it was hearing those amps at Bill's that I never forgot. Yes that was thunder, the world shook when those sub woofer towers were in action, as I said magnificent, that memory still shines, tung oil and all.
Yes, the IRS V is Legendary and belongs in the loudspeaker design Hall of Fame.  Happy Listening!
I was at some big audio show n Washington DC or Arlington musta been around 1982 when there was a big demo of the Latest Audio Research Tube electronics and the monster Infinity Reference V using a super duper reel to reel tape deck and master tapes as the source. The demo was set up on the stage if an auditorium. I remember very clearly the spokesperson saying, when you shut your eyes this should sound just like real music. Then he flipped the on switch. Unfortunately the sound was so horrible everyone immediately got up and exited the auditorium. Oh, well, the best laid plans and all that. 😬

Hi

I'm the new owner of these IRS III speaker, wish to upgrade to active crossover to JL CR1, anybody can advise me on the XLR output from the crossover to bass tower. Can it be a direct swap.

Should I upgrade the passive crossover for the wings too.

Thanks, regards.

Ismail

Thanks, regards.