Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
stevebraxtonno, I do not have any contact for Sony since they left Texas. Perhaps a Google search can reveal this information? I wonder if Bill Thalmann has the correct calibration equipment? He is awesome, offers excellent electronics service. I use a Pioneer Elite 59-AVi universal (CD/DVD/SACD) spinner.
stevebraxtontry this # for Grand Rapids MI - 888.222.SONYKeep us posted on this development.
stereo5, Your SCD777ES may be very repairable. The one I repaired required some work on Gear C in the transport assembly. It would not spin on the shaft which caused the read problem. I used a fine 3 mm round file to open up the bore hole. As I understand, the nylon gears over time become too tight and friction on the shaft causes problems. I also purchased a brass gear on eBay from seller igorek50 for future replacement. It tested fine after bit of filing on the bore hole.
Dgarretson post was very helpful on how to remove the transport assy for the diagnostic.
@stevebraxton...…………………………………….

Thanks for the info, I will attempt repair and I do have a copy of the service manual somewhere (I think).
Thanks! for the update - stevebraxtonI trust that your player is up and running now?Happy Listening!