Looking for a warm sweet speaker

That images great and resolves without etched treble. I love the british sound, but want something a little more modern sounding. The big Harbeths sound good to me, but the price is just out of my reach. Any American brands that you could suggest? In this day and age it’s getting harder to find brick and mortar dealers or even by appointment dealers that stock the type of speakers I am looking for it seems.

I have analog and digital sources.
mckinneymike
Modern KEF speakers are NOT warm and sweet. If anything they are lean and somewhat bright by the OP's definition.

Don't laugh - I suggest - Magnepan .7. They are warm and sweet in the right setting :) To my ears much more laid back than the older models.

Vandersteen speakers comply with the definition, at least at the lower end of the range - 2CE, 3's.
I love my Proac D15s and also loved Vandersteens when I had them. I share your taste for the British sound. I currently have Audio Physic Avantera with BAT tube mono blocks. Resolving, layered, but still plummy sound to my ears, in my room. 
Scan the usual sale sites.  Used higher end Thiels would meet your needs, I'm sure.  I'm still running almost 30 year old CS3s anchoring my home theater.  They are full bodied yet accurate and not at all etched in the HF.

Warmest line of speakers I have heard are the Opera line from Italy. Also, the Silverline speakers are pretty sweet sounding. I hate in-your-face etched sounding speakers as well. In general, you might wish to avoid metal dome tweeters, and instead look for cloth domes or ribbon tweeters. I am quite happy with my Ohm Walsh 2000s, which use a soft dome tweeter. Overall, they might work for you and save you some money, depending on your room size (Ohm scales its speakers to fit your room volume).

All that said, steakster has a point. Ample, clean power will help a lot. But everything matters, from the cablling to the source components to the amp, power source and the speakers. It took me a long time to vanquish the hard, brittle, etchy sound of my system. In the process, I replaced almost all of it. But it is possible to get to what you seek without breaking the bank. Just make well-considered improvements all through your system, one at a time, and make sure nothing you do is irreversable or permanent. Insist on trying everything in your system before you commit to buy, or make sure you have a good return option with little or no restocking fee.