I have question about frequency response and power issues

My current system is a Son of Ampzilla 2 and Mirage M1 speakers. I am using a Yaqin tube CD player and a Lexicon MC8 in bypass mode for a preamp. My question is basically this. My M1s have frequency response from 20 hz to 20K Hz. My amp has the same specs as does my CD player. My low end is phenomenal , I really am happy with it. I think I may be pushing my amp too hard as the M1s are rated at 250 watts but the amp is only 220. I am thinking about a Macintosh MC302 which is 300 watts output which I think will be perfect for my speakers. I am considering some B&W speakers but the frequency response ratings seem to all put the low end at around 35 Hz. Also the power requirements for the B&Ws seem to be very minimal. I don’t want to lose ANY of the belly buzz characteristics , so am I looking in the wrong direction as far as speakers go? Thanks in advance!

128x128jamesfokes
When you say the M1s are rated at 250w, that's almost certainly the supposed maximum that they can handle, not the range that they're comfortable with.  Agree with previous posters.  Also, all about input and output impedances, and matches between components.  Son of A shouldn't be overheating like that.  I don't remember the M1s as being notoriously difficult to drive.  The Bryston likely had different impedance and gain.  Inserting a powered pre-amp in system, with good impedance match to power amp, should be a significant improvement.
You definitely need a preamp your problem is a lack of gain not a lack of power.
The M1's have amazing bass.  They love power and are fairly inefficient.  If I'm correct, they are 83db at 1 watt and run 6 ohms and they drop to 4 ohms.  Why don't you try bi-amping these?

Also, keep in mind that a speaker's wattage rating doesn't mean what you think.  Rating them at 220 watts is a suggested power rating for your amp.  But, 1 watt of distortion could blow them much more easily than 400 clean watts of music.  Overdriving your GAS could kill them.
I did have two Bryston 4B amps, bi-amping, but I got a little too happy with the volume and fried my tweeters. I had to send them to a guy in Canada that bought all the old Mirage M1 stuff. He rebuilt them and replaced the ferro-fluid. They are basically brand new, he did a great job. The preamp thing is interesting. Are you saying that my Lexicon is not powered? The way I understood it the Lexicon in bypass mode was a very good preamp. I did have a Bryston BP1 preamp that sounded very good but the Lexicon seems to have better imaging. The Bryston bit the dust, that is why I bought the Lexicon.