Oppo Ceasing production

Just visited Oppo's web site.  They are ceasing production of all their products and will only do warranty work and firmware support for their products.  They no longer have the resources to manufacture new products.  Didn't see this one coming.
128x128stereo5
we probably shouldn't be so surprised, as physical media is in rapid decline; even the market for high-end streaming devices is probably on the wane with the proliferation of smart tvs and very capable, inexpensive streamers. it's sad, though--oppo made a very good high-value product.
geoffkait - Oppo successfully nailed down the entry level and bang for the buck categories for many years.

And that's because their products and customer service perform better than entry level.

The decline of physical media didn't happen suddenly last week.  That has been brewing for years.  Oppo developed and launched the 203/205 generation as a significant improvement on the already good 103/105 generation recently.  Pulling the plug now rather than 2 years ago is just strange.  I don't think we know the whole story yet.  
Of equal or greater concern to the high-end is the imminent bankruptcy of Gibson.  That could force it to shed or fold its audio brands TEAC, Onkyo, and Esoteric.   
This is indeed very sad news and for me a huge shock!
I own three of their players
bdp83...owned 6 years
bdp 93....owned 3 years
bdp105...owned 1 year

not one of them have been touched at all and all still give faultless service

maybe that's part of the problem? stuff that does not break or wear out and gives perfect service does not tend to be replaced or upgraded as often.
Sad but maybe they were built too well? At least in todays throw away, flavour of the week society.

But whatever if somebody like Oppo cannot make it work the $ numbers any longer could anybody else who take over the operation?
More to discover