Neil Young - Guitarist

We all know Neil for his outstanding songwriting skills and some may even recognize his talents with a guitar but is he underrated? in 2015 Rolling Stone ranked him as number 17 of 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Can anyone pull more raw emotion out of a guitar than Neil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrkKNZRIfM
128x128falconquest
I know from interviews that Neil Young isn't even in Neil Young's top 100 guitarists of all time. 
He has a very distinct style which makes him original. Mark Knopfler is a truly incredible guitarist. IMO he’s the best alive. Sorry Clapton lovers. 
The Rolling Stone list was compiled primarily by other guitarist.  The list is titled "Greatest", not "Best" and it is clearly not based on technical skill.  Still the list doesn't include Rick Derringer, Robin Trower, Gary Moore, Marvin Tarpley, Shuggie Otis, Marshall Crenshaw, Danny Kirwan, Earl Hooker, Magic Sam, David Hildago, Bill Conners, Dave Alvin, etc.

Here's a link.

I like Neil Young's music, but as a technical guitarist, he doesn't make any list, top 100 or even top 500.  That's OK.  Neil plays guitar very well for what he needs to do - accompany his voice. But he is no virtuoso on the guitar, and why should he be?  There are many excellent guitar players out there, from Jeff Beck to Steve Howe... and some that you probably didn't know about.  (Check out Glen Campbell on YouTube sometime, or give James Taylor a good listen.)

And remember that VERY few rock guitarist could hang with the real virtuosos, like Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessel, George Benson, Pat Martino, Tal Farlow, Stanley Jordan and on and on and on...

Neil Young is a great singer & songwriter.  He never aspired to be a great guitarist.

Guitar playing is so much more than just technical skill. It’s also sound and energy. Neil has all of it and then some. The greats are always very distinctive, regardless (to a large degree) of the guitar they pickup. Willie Nelson playing Johnny Cash’ guitar on VH1 Storytellers ,after he broke strings on his guitar, first comes to mind for me.