Is this a crazy idea.

Tell me if this is a crazy idea for a vintage HT system. I want to keep it simple. Please be merciful to me when you respond.

I picked up four (4) matching JBL 4412's at a garage sale for a very good price. I'm thinking about using a vintage(they only come this way) Quadraphonic receiver for a vintage (almost) HT system.

I am toying with the idea of a using four analogue outputs from my Oppo dvd player. I would eliminate the center channel. You would have to configure the front, rear, left, right of the quadraphonic receiver as fl, fr, rl, and rr. Is this crazy or is it doable?

Balancing the speakers might be tricky but I think it might work.
128x128mjcmt
Mjcmt, Yes it will work. The oppo dvd players let you configure the speaker settings in the set-up menu so you can select no center channel and still use the DD/DTS decoding ,as well as channel delay if needed. At least that's how it is on my 981hd.

If you go into it knowing that it will probably take a lot of work to get everything just how you want it I'm sure you will end up quite happy with the results. Then again, what system doesn't take a lot of work to begin with.

I listen to movies in 2-channel and it is incredibly dynamic and enveloping sound with a solid center image. It's all about what will make you happy. Go for it!
Geared4me,

I currently watch movies in high end 2 channel as well. I'm quite satisfied...

...but after hearing how incredibly dynamic and detailed the JBL 4312's are I got on this kick to use them in a vintage quad system, although they would be at home in a modern system as well.

I will move the 2 channel system to a different room and set up these killer JBL's for HT. I hope the quad receiver doesn't process Dolby Quadraphonic with the 4 channel inputs. If it doesn't it should work. I may have to buy one and see, and that is the reason for this post, to help in the decision making before I buy.
Is Flamb suggesting that only active speakers are ideal for HT?............if so your crazy.
IMO, I wouldn't say ONLY, but IMO active speakers produce better performance than just about all passive speakers. Again, just my opinion, FWIW.
Why would an active speaker be any better then a passive with an ideal amp? I only see a difference in the fact that the amps are in the cabinet with active, and not with passive. If you had same drivers and same amps as active design but routed via interconnects what exactly would be different?
I know ATC speakers and the like are quality products and have a strong fan base but I see them as somewhat of a weakness, when they age and amp technology improoves wouldnt it be ideal to be able to change amplification without buying a whole new (and expensive active speaker)?