Is this a crazy idea.

Tell me if this is a crazy idea for a vintage HT system. I want to keep it simple. Please be merciful to me when you respond.

I picked up four (4) matching JBL 4412's at a garage sale for a very good price. I'm thinking about using a vintage(they only come this way) Quadraphonic receiver for a vintage (almost) HT system.

I am toying with the idea of a using four analogue outputs from my Oppo dvd player. I would eliminate the center channel. You would have to configure the front, rear, left, right of the quadraphonic receiver as fl, fr, rl, and rr. Is this crazy or is it doable?

Balancing the speakers might be tricky but I think it might work.
128x128mjcmt
I don't think it will work. If you use 4 of 5 analog outputs from your Oppo DVD player, you will have the DVD player set to 5.1 or Dolby Digital output in order to get any sound from the L&R rear/surround output jacks. This will also cause the discrete center channel information to go to the center channel output, which you don't have connected to anything. You will be missing at least one 5th of the discrete information (all of the center channel content) from your DVDs.

I'm guessing that in order to use anything less than 5 channels of output from you Oppo, you will have to set the output mode to PCM or stereo. Then, you will likely only get output from the L&R front analog outputs.
I'm getting mixed response. The idea is not to have a modern 5.1 or 7.1 HT system but a HT using vintage equipment. So let me try again with more clarification.

I have 4 vintage JBL's control room monitors that are dynamic and accurate. Much music you are listen to from the 70's, 80's, and 90's have been mixed on these great speakers.

My idea is to use the analogue outputs (after internal processing from my Oppo dvd player), and pass the info to a vintage quad receiver using the 4 channel inputs.

I have not bought a quad receiver yet, but I am wondering if this will work or do these vintage receivers always process in quadraphonic (I think it is Dolby).

If I put this vintage system (well almost vintage w/ modern dvd) it is for the enjoyment of a vintage system, and not to reinvent the wheel. Of course you can not have a center channel with a quad receiver, but my seating is between the speakers.

So if you remove your ideas of modern audio from the equation, can this work? Please anyone with the love of vintage equipment feel free to respond.
Mjcmt, Yes it will work. The oppo dvd players let you configure the speaker settings in the set-up menu so you can select no center channel and still use the DD/DTS decoding ,as well as channel delay if needed. At least that's how it is on my 981hd.

If you go into it knowing that it will probably take a lot of work to get everything just how you want it I'm sure you will end up quite happy with the results. Then again, what system doesn't take a lot of work to begin with.

I listen to movies in 2-channel and it is incredibly dynamic and enveloping sound with a solid center image. It's all about what will make you happy. Go for it!
Geared4me,

I currently watch movies in high end 2 channel as well. I'm quite satisfied...

...but after hearing how incredibly dynamic and detailed the JBL 4312's are I got on this kick to use them in a vintage quad system, although they would be at home in a modern system as well.

I will move the 2 channel system to a different room and set up these killer JBL's for HT. I hope the quad receiver doesn't process Dolby Quadraphonic with the 4 channel inputs. If it doesn't it should work. I may have to buy one and see, and that is the reason for this post, to help in the decision making before I buy.
Is Flamb suggesting that only active speakers are ideal for HT?............if so your crazy.