Is this a crazy idea.

Tell me if this is a crazy idea for a vintage HT system. I want to keep it simple. Please be merciful to me when you respond.

I picked up four (4) matching JBL 4412's at a garage sale for a very good price. I'm thinking about using a vintage(they only come this way) Quadraphonic receiver for a vintage (almost) HT system.

I am toying with the idea of a using four analogue outputs from my Oppo dvd player. I would eliminate the center channel. You would have to configure the front, rear, left, right of the quadraphonic receiver as fl, fr, rl, and rr. Is this crazy or is it doable?

Balancing the speakers might be tricky but I think it might work.
128x128mjcmt
Is Flamb suggesting that only active speakers are ideal for HT?............if so your crazy.
IMO, I wouldn't say ONLY, but IMO active speakers produce better performance than just about all passive speakers. Again, just my opinion, FWIW.
Why would an active speaker be any better then a passive with an ideal amp? I only see a difference in the fact that the amps are in the cabinet with active, and not with passive. If you had same drivers and same amps as active design but routed via interconnects what exactly would be different?
I know ATC speakers and the like are quality products and have a strong fan base but I see them as somewhat of a weakness, when they age and amp technology improoves wouldnt it be ideal to be able to change amplification without buying a whole new (and expensive active speaker)?
"Mjcmt":

WOW!!!!! That sounds like a GREAT novel idea. I never would've thought about building a home theater system this way. About how far back you're thinking about going??? 1970's possibly??? If so, if you can, I would try to hunt down a vintage Marantz or Sansui Quadraphonic Receiver if at all possible. I used to love those things back in the 1970's. A neighbor of mine on the street behind of where my childhood home was had one (and from my comfirmation, it was a Sansui, but I forgot the Model #) of those, he used to put one speaker outside on his front porch and turned that sucker up all the damn time. The bass from that thing was so powerful, I used to hear the windows rattle all the time when put on some music.

And if that doesn't work out for you, then I might be taking hold of a Yamaha DSP-780A pretty soon. And if I am not mistaking, this is a mid-late 1990's vintage unit. Maybe not as vintage as a 1970's vintage Sansui, but vintage enough. The DSP-780A retailed for about $1,000.00 back in the mid 1990's, but I am sure that it will go for a fraction of that amount today.

Good luck, and let me know how your experiment turns out. Okay????

--Charles--
Mjcmt, Let me save you here, People seem to be missing the real issue, the OPPO players Digital processor built in does not have the capability to mix the Center Voice on a DVD disc to the front Left and right, Yes an old 4 channel receiver as long as it has the 4 separate mono channel inputs could in fact allow you to get away with hearing the front L & R , rear L & R just fine, however you will have no Dialog, because you will need a fifth channel in this case to output the Center channel jack of the oppo to another amp and fifth speaker..

Only way around this is to use what is mentioned above, A newer Pro logic type receiver from about probably 1992 and up that has the capability to take a connection from the digital outs either Toslink or Coax from the oppo player and decode the 5.1 signal of a DVD down to "Phantom mode" which yes then eliminates the Center speaker all together and runs voice thru the L & R while still retaining the Rear Speaker surround effect channels.

I mean unless you use both the L & R channels on the OPPO and simply set the processor inside the Oppo for Stereo out Mix not 5.1 Mix you can get 4 Stereo channels, but of course this will not be true surround sound or Have the Bullets speeding between the Two rear speakers it will just be all information sent to all 4 channels. So in a nutshell no you can't use old Quadrophonic receivers just for the amps and get true surround sound without a processor capable of running a 4 Channel phantom mode, and I doubt any DVD players have ever been built with this function in it.