New or used cartridge

I have have good experiences buying a previously owned cart in the past, but have heard several telling me to buy new..  I wish there was a way, to tell how many hours was on a used cart.  Other than putting the cantilever under a microscope,  I see no way concerning the hours/use/condition of a used cart..  I kinda look at it as buying a used car.  Let someone else take the initial "hit". then buy from them, as they're moving over or up.  I have an excellent Koetsu Urushi Black I'm going to put up for sale.  I love it's sound, but am wanting to move up the ladder so to speak.
Please give me opinions concerning this.
handymann
Or used. And get it Soundsmith serviced with new cantilever/stylus assembly of your choice.

And it will unfortunately sound nothing like the original, so what is even the point of that?
Well, to be fair sometimes a re-tipped or replacement cantilever will sound better than the original.  But to invictus005's point (I think), you simply have no way of knowing what your cartridge will sound like after altering it.

While every one seem to fear the stylus condition by an second

hand cart, according to J. Carr the stylus change is the least

trouble. Anyway by ''exotic cantilevers'' in which the stylus need

to be glued. Not to mention the possibility to chose for a better

stylus shape or kind. There is not as much choice by cantilevers

and suspension. I fear the condition of coils and suspension the

most. It is of course the price difference which is the basic reason

to buy second hand.

@handymann New Old Stock is the best when it comes to old models, but used cartridges from the collectors hands are no problem (they are used with a great care in rotation with others). All my cartridges are used or NOS. But i prefer fully original cartridges, refurbished cartridges may be different from sample to sample. My multiply (used) samples of the favorite models sounds the same, so i believe they are all have low hrs of use, but for those you believes in burn-in process of everything it is even better. In my experience all used (rare) cartridges are better than new expensive LOMC models i have tried. So i think the key factor is not the condition (of caurse they must be in excellent condition), but the construction, materials etc. I think you’re talking about LOMC cartridges only, because in case with MM cartridge everyone can try to find NOS stylus replacement later.

Like those guys who’re selling you NOS tubes (for example) cartridge must be tested before each sale. If the cartridge works fine then what’s the problem to buy lightly used sample much cheaper or to buy rare cartridge that is impossible to find NOS? Honest sellers (audiophiles and collectors) not trying to cheat their customers and ebay for example is very strong with return policy for full refund if the buyer is not happy.