why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
“Trying to get me to spend 60% of my budget on cables instead of using my hard earned dollar towards the speakers and amplification.”

^^^^ If true such salesmen should have to wear a dunce cap and take their place in the dunking machine chair, the public being handed free baseballs until they get their proper dunking and public shaming.

The cables scam sucks.
dynaquest4
cleeds says: "There is actually a whole industry base on high-end cables - pick up any audio magazine and you’ll see the expensive ads. "

Yep....and now you know why they cost so much. And you still buy them!
Actually, I don’t think you know anything about the cables I use, or what they cost me. And I had a pretty good idea of cable pricing structure well before I pointed out to you the cable ads common to audio magazines.

So, when are you going to file that lawsuit against the deceptive marketers??
I think I let them continue to rip off people like you. I have better things to do, and unlike in the US, there are no damages to be had.
willemj, that’s what we call Kangaroo Courts over here. Boing! Boing! Boing!
willemj
I think I let them continue to rip off people like you. I have better things to do, and unlike in the US, there are no damages to be had.
So sue them in the US! If your case is so sound - based on the legal precedent you cite - it should be a slam-dunk. And the US is filled with lawyers! You won't have any trouble finding one, I can assure you.

I've never been "ripped off" by a cable manufacturer, by the way. But don't get me started on banks and cable/Internet providers.