Bluesound Node 2 as a preamp?

Source: Bluesound Node 2
Amp: Belles Aria Integrated
Speakers: Vandersteen 2ce Sig II’s

Prior to last night I had been taking the analog outputs of the Node 2 and plugging them into 1 of the 3 stereo inputs on the Belles. I had read a thread here about bypassing the preamp and plugging the Node 2 directly into your amp. I did that last night by using the Bypass input on the Belles, using the volume control on the Bluesound OS app to conrol volume.

I don’t know if it’s expectation bias or some other phenomenon, but I swear my system has never sounded sweeter. More bass extension, more defined sound stage, better detail.

Has anyone else tried this experiment? What were your findings? Am I losing it?

Thanks!
Joe

128x128audionoobie
I just replaced the Bluesound Node2 in my main system with a Lumin T1 and yes the T1 is better (as it should be for the price) but the Bluesound Node2 has to be one of the best bargains in Hi Fi.  I love it.  I have moved it to a second system in a bedroom and I am running it directly into an Audio Research 100.2 power amp.  I just set it up yesterday so I haven't had time to do much listening but my initial reaction is that it is ok but I think it would probably sound better running through a preamp.  Down the road I might try it with a preamp in this second system.  I always ran it through a preamp when it was in my main system.  
audionoobie/Joe:  Can you explain what you mean?  Did you change from using the RCA analog outputs of the Node 2, to using the digital out?  If yes, then I think this is changing your DAC from the Node 2 to your Aria Integrated.  Do I understand this correctly?

@doug,
No, he is plugging in the BSound directly into the amp using the amp/pre bypass.
B
WhatHiFi gave the Node 2 a mediocre review regarding sound quality, and high regarding everything else. That was using the analog outs of the Node 2.  I would like to hear from people who use the Node 2 as a DIGITAL source with their own DAC.  Does that significantly improve the SQ potential for the Node 2?
+2 Kalali
I have used the Node 2 in various configurations and performs well in some, mediocre in others. I try to remember the price which makes it a “budget” component. Many are using it as a streamer, wired or wireless link to digital library, preamp and DAC. Those are many and varied tasks. If you pair it with a really good preamp, and really good DAC it will punch way above it’s weight class. Try an ARC preamp and an Ayre DAC. Any really good tube preamp will be better than using the Node 2 as a preamp.
I don’t think it fair to compare it to much pricier components. It will not hold up...