Where do I start-amp or speakers ?

While in the midst of downsizing I sold all my gear: Krell monos, Thiel CS6’s, Thiel 2.4’s, EAD Powermaster 2000, Thiel MCS1, etc.
I am now left with a headphone system based on the entry level Schitt headphone amp, Freya preamp,& a very nice Vinyl NIrvana Thorens 125 turntable,
So how’s that working out for you, you ask? Not so well. I need speakers & amp!
 I went from 2900 sq ft. To 1600 sq ft; a 25x24 room to an 18 x 16 room (high 20-24 ft cathedral ceiling, though, at least.)
I’m now on the way to build a new system , one component at a time; Ceiling is 4K per unit. Every time I see a nice amp, then I see a fine pair of speakers. Back and forth. Do I start with an amp or with speakers? Input, input........
michaeljbrown
I suggest that you think of what type of speaker you want and then you can narrow your choice of amplifier. You can do that the other way around as well; however, the amp can be placed anywhere but the speakers should have an optimal location. As to speaker, what is it that you want for the money, a balanced speaker in terms of dynamics, bass extension, wide or narrow listening area, tonal fullness...? When you decide on the type of sound you want, you can choose a speaker and mate it with the proper amp. As to electrostat and planar, I suggest a beefy solid state amp. As to dynamic speakers with high efficiency, a tube amp. For those dynamic speakers with low impedance and difficult to drive, again preferably solid state or some huge tube amps (too expensive for you). So, it’s your decision how you want the speaker to act first, then choose the amp.

You can alter the listening area with Hallographs and Synergistic Research Atmospheres/HFTs. They can widen the listening area and focus the sound but that’s more than you are willing to spend.

That’s why I suggested used high efficiency dynamic speakers with low coloration and easy to drive overall for tubes or solid state. You don’t have to buy new to get great sound.
Speakers are the most important part of any system, they dictate the overall sound.  Amps, will “generally”all have a similar sound.
no flame wars, just stating some acts, I’m sorry, most SS amps will have a similar signature, tubes not so much. 
  Start with speakers, then move different amps/preamps around to find what suits your tastes..

Speakers are the most variable part of a system, not including the room and your preferences. But while the choices for speakers are abundant, the options for great (and affordable) power amplifiers are far less so.

Prior to hearing (and reviewing) the Valvet E2 single-ended Class A amp, I would have agreed to pick speakers first, then the amp. Now, for only $2990, one can have one of the best amps on the planet, and then pick from the many (although not unlimited) options for complementary speakers.

Happy listening!

JerryS
www.10audio.com
Michael, did not realize that your ceiling slanted back so dramatically. That may well save the day - but I would still begin with speakers in that situation. Magnepans might be very good indeed - I have run them on everything from '70's mid-fi 100WPC to modern hifi high power, and have always liked the sound. My Quads are more sensitive to amplifiers, but Quads might not work with your room.

Experiment! Good luck! 
Smaller Maggies + subs?  I've read about people getting very good results going this route.