Be Careful!

With static electricity in this cold dry winter.  I fried the right channel of my Classe Amp last night with the touch of a finger.  I usually have anti-static sheets in hand before touching anything but this time did not.

Good excuse to recap an old amp.
pops
Pops it happened to me , it was the kind of pants and my sweater,iam wearing.google why static happen...I got really educated from it, when I use lotion it removes the dryness as well on my hands...
I have had this problem also, never caused harm to equipment however. Had a integrated amplifier that would go into protection mode. Even happened when using the remote (metal one).

As many have aforementioned, a discharge prior to touching equipment is best protection. ALso, as Elizabeth stated, bare feet, or even taking shoes off helps reduce static buildup. 

Like others have suggested I have a brass plate that is grounded to earth that I touch first.  My preamp crackles through the speakers if I don’t in this weather 
The latest Audioquest anti static vinyl cleaning brush uses the user as a ground, which I think is a bold use of the consumer as a participant in an audio issue remedy…this might be illegal in some states, but I use one anyway but store the little charge in a battery that I later use to power my toothbrush.