Why does all new pop music sound the same?

Basically because it IS the same - I think anyone with ears already knows that, but there is more to it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
chayro

It's easy, you need:

good songs, artistic talent, engineering, mixing and mastering

Maybe not so easy

The documentary "Hired Guns" on Netflix helps put this discussion into perspective in terms of what producers have been doing to many of the songs we all know for years.
@lowrider57 Did you ever ask your interns what music they were listening to? Did you ever follow up on those artists?

There might have been more "diversity" on the Billboard charts (though certainly not ethnic or gender diversity), but only because mainstream music had to be a variety show of sorts back then. There wasn't the niche marketing, the targeted playlists, the Sirius/XM stations, the Tidal and Spotify playlists.

And yet many kids today have access to and listen to a wider variety of music than kids in the 70's and 80's.
@asp307 
"I hope I never become an old guy waxing nostalgia about Kurt Cobain (and the like) to anyone who will listen...my worst nightmare... "