Vandie .7 vs Maggie .7

*** I tried to edit the TITLE.,,Sorry   I mean Vandie 1ci    Thanks

Hello to all! I am hoping I will get some opinions on these 2 speakers. I’m 65...a Pro musician with a degree in music. I’ve own of equipment for sure. Nothing in the Mega buck range. I did own a par of Maggie III’s 25 years ago. Vandersteen’s are really a brand I have never owned or stopped at a dealer or known someone who owned them.

I know opinions are GOING to vary. These are kinda 2 different speakers...but a similar approach. Maggie flat panel, and Vandie "no baffe.

I have an NAD 326BEE integrated amp..( very decent)....I’m about to spring for a Schiit Vidar. I have an MF V90,,Schiit Saga... I own Whafdale Diamond 240’s.

I was also set to pop for the Vidar and got into a discussion with someone at Schiit, and he generally said, looking at speakers/ headphones are usually a bigger change. So started my re-evaluation.

These are the 2 I am down too. I have 1400-1500 to spend. True-ness of timbre, soundstage are most important ot me ...because I have listened and played live music since I was 15.

I do very much appreciate your opinions. I want member to BE subjective and give me your take based on personal experience. Thank you very much, Otto

128x128ottoa63
You’ve mentioned your room. Most all our rooms have issues. After acoustic treatment in my dedicated room my system sounded considerably better than any other change I have done. Definitely consider budgeting for that.

Tom
No acoustic treatment... The electronics are nestled in a square concrete walled cove.. 10x10x10  I sit in front of this cove.. 8 ft away... I considered putting some corner pillows in the 2 corners if the cover... I run the sub right next to my listening chair (a lazy boy couch),, as Dr. HSU suggests... Near field sub. 

I never considered used 2's   hummm that's a great idea! I'd have to get lucky.. Same or lower then new 1ci's 1395.00? 
Really.. I'll search for it. 

Thank you Otto 
try to get the signatures
Vandersteen ran a trade promo recently that may have put some old model 2 into dealers....but IF you can swing the signatures you will find them pretty incredible.....
Since you already use a good sub and high-pass crossover, definitely consider KEF LS50s or the Reference 300s. Unlike the others, they’re not finicky about placement. 8’ is practically near-field, so your room size is not a detriment unless you’re a bass junkie. With the exception of low octave extension, the KEFs are simply better in every way. They even trump 1.7s with vocals. I was quite stoked with the performance value of the 1Cis, but the LS50s take the crown. Their current price is a steal and icing on the cake. You could put the savings toward a better amp.

As for used 2Cs, not a bad idea, but keep in mind that Vandersteen is constantly making slight, unpublished revisions to those models. The current 1Ci has a superior tweeter to the older 2Cs, so I agree that you'd do well to seek out a used pair of 2C sigs.