PMC 24 and Canalis Cambria two way floorstanders; What is the advantage to this design?:

I recently noticed several 2 way floor standers, in particular, the PMC.24 ($6000 retail) and the Canalis Cambria  at $5000 retail.  Pro-AC and  Spendor also offer a few 2 way floorstanders

Is there any advantage to a 2 way floor stander  to a 3 way system??

I am aware that less drivers and crossovers, and a slimmer cabinet "usually" provide better sound quality; However, the retail prices of the above don't seemed to represent "good value".

Thank you, S.J. 

sunnyjim
@sunnyjim - the question I was answering in your OP was
Is there any advantage to a 2 way floor stander to a 3 way system??
However, "Value" is more a personal assessment of a product

Companies are seldom concerned about Value - they just want you to part with your hard earned cash

That's just the way of the world

As for 
"Quality sound.... but at what price??"

Whatever price the customer is prepared to pay - after all, we all have our own personal levels of "insanity"

Regards - Steve

@ Value is a tricky issue.  On many items, there's close to a 50% spread on wholesale vs. retail.  Factor in actual manufacturing costs, packaging, shipping, etc. etc. and then what's left?  Whatever that is, the manufacturer has to make a profit and defray all development costs.

That being said, speakers imported from the UK and Europe start off at a disadvantage.  As regards the Twenty.24s, yes, there's at least a perceived difference between it and a larger 3-way design from a US company manufactured in China.  Looking at a speaker from the outside, you can never tell what's going on inside.

But that's why buying lightly used or demo or whatever is so attractive.  And in my case, I bought when PMC were changing US distributors and the old distributor was selling off remaining stock at near cost.

To two left ears:  Thank you for the return comment.

To willewonka:  Nobody will deny manufacturers deserve to make a profit

However, as you mention of that  "insanity... is the way of the world" , then maybe the world needs to changed for the better, or more sane"

Happy New Year to all

S.J. 

@sunnyjim - Ah  but if the world were "more sane" we would have no Bugatti, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Pagani, McLaren - to name but a few - and that would be an awful shame - wouldn't it?  :-)

After all - they are all striving for some sort of "perfection" regardless of cost - isn't that what this industry is all about?

Happy New Year to all - Steve
I owned all my life 3 way speakers , and 4 years ago bought the Proac 140 MKII 2.5 way design actually it’s a 2 way design with double mid/bass drivers and found it’s the best design I ever heard ,the bass don’t punch in your face as 3 way speakers with dedicated bass drivers tend to do the bass is more organic and natural, the second advantage the double mid/bass drivers produce more dynamics and details than 2 way typical speakers with one mid/bass driver.