Set me straight, don't pull punches

Esteemed contributors

I, a neophyte, present myself as supplicant for knowledge in all aspects of my system.

(Feel free to skip ** sections **, included only to rationalize intent)

**I don't know how much info you want, but know that I have done a fair amount of research and read lots of opinions, but have skipped steps in setting up an intermediate listening rig*

I recently picked up a Peachtree nova300 to replace a Marantz 2238b driving B&W 685 bookshelf speakers and 12" DefTec sub.

I'm having troubles. My TT output is extremely quiet, and running digital files makes the speakers voice timidly - not at all what I expected from 300w. I got much stronger response from the "38w" Marantz.

Are my speakers mismatched? 

**I wanted to have the ability to include my wife in enjoying the set-up, and the Sabre DAC specifically designed for iOS devices removed the fear of vinyl handling, turntable cueing and the like.**

I changed everything at once. I had been using 12 gauge radioshack speaker wire. I upgraded to AudioQuest X2 (directionality running the proper direction) and audioquest bananna clips. 

I have a technics 1300 TT that isn't giving me much volume, which is a huge disappointment, because my main input is a vinyl collection I have been building for a few years.

I thought the peachtree had a dedicated phono input designed specifically for MM cartridges.

I can't find branding anywhere on my cart, but had been under the impression it was MM, not MC.

**I actually found the turntable inside a cabinet I bought that had been sitting outside on a deck in SD for a few seasons, so I'm surprised and pleased it works as well as it does (a little sticking on the speed/pitch adjustment knobs, and 45rpm runs too quick, cannot be slowed further)**

Anyway. I have been putting off buying a pre-amp to reduce extra equipment.

**I inherited an Arcam d9 that I wanted to A/B test against my marantz, but I preferred the simplicity that the peachtree integrated offered.**

I feel like I'm stranded in Wyoming, not included in any audio circles that could help me troubleshoot these issues. Connecting with anyone would be awesome, I'm just hoping this post doesn't go completely unnoticed due to my ignorance. 

Another consideration, I have access to discounted Pro-Ject equipment, so specific direction on the models they offer would be particularly helpful

Thank you for any and all feedback. Try to sell me on something 

mpdahl
For starters, it sounds to me as if the Peachtree is faulty.  You've swopped in a different integrated, and it's louder?  Have you tried the same line-source through the several different line-source inputs?  Process of elimination is the only way to figure out exactly what's happening.
Is there a volume bypass on the Nova300 where you can run, say, a DAC with a volume control?
The Nova 300 has a button on the front to select between line level and phono when using the AUX2/Phono input.
@gs556 there is a loop functionality where I could attach a DAC or an equalizer.

My only other audio source I have is a marantz 5025B tape deck, which I'll hook up and experiement with different input channels. 

(I had a 5-cd carousel that wouldn't give me anything, so I'm on the prowl there as well)

I'm wondering if running the marantz as the phono input and use the peachtree's much higher watt ceiling headroom would change the sound quality? If it isn't head and shoulders improvement over the Marantz, why include it in the chain at all? 

I'm also switching the speaker wire back to the previous arrangement to see if those make a difference in sound quality. I'll return and report
Ok, it took my wife making adjustments and pushing the buttons the way I SHOULD have to switch from the AUX2 to the phono stage. My issue was impatience, incompetence tinged with insecurity that I could break the input channel if I held it longer than the 5 seconds prescribed in the manual. 

I skimmed the instruction manual, missing the step where I HOLD the aux button UNTIL the indicator switch changes from blue to green, which turns off the digital inputs and uses the separate analog circuitry. I was pressing and holding...incorrectly?

Pivoting...

I hooked up the tape deck, but there is a hum every other time I push the play button, where the DB meter is maxing out and there is a loud buzzing. Do I just need to get the heads cleaned? We have already established that I should hold off on my own alterations, repairs etc until I can apprentice under someone who knows