Can't we all just get along?

I have not been a member for a very long time, and joined Agon to discuss audio with others in my hobby. Seems to me that almost every post devolves into a hijacked  negative argument between a few members that seem to think it's their platform to preach their opinions to any who would listen, and any dissent to what they have to say is met with ridicule/insults, and just downright rudeness.

There will always be differences in opinion, BUT, we can be civilized in how we disagree.

There is already too much negativity in the world. Is it not possible to insulate that from our hobby in this forum, or is this what we have become? Hiding behind our keyboards and not having the courtesy to treat our fellow audio lovers with decency, open-mindedness, and RESPECT !

128x128crazyeddy
The condescension sharks are beginning to appear. One so far and the others will start circling shortly. 

Dave
@dlcockrum +1!!! I totally agree with the OP that, finally, some folks who feed on negativity, had found yet another platform to feed their needs. Sad... 
I think it is largely a function of the Internet. In my career, now retired, I dealt with a lot of hackers and Internet trolls. Many were these meek individuals in person, but had an entirely different persona behind a keyboard.
There is also an inherent shortcoming in writing postings in a terse, informative way that doesn’t sound condescending. I think sometimes people don’t intend to sound snarky or harsh, but it comes off that way. (True of email sometimes too-).
I agree that one can have a constructive argument without name calling or rancor. Sometimes, though, we are arguing about things that leave little room for consensus. I still like this forum a lot- there are some very well-informed participants, and people are generally willing to help on trouble shooting or system problems.
My view is that you really can’t change other people’s behavior. If someone is constantly obnoxious, eventually others reach the same conclusion. And their views, no matter how strongly held, are given less credence because of the manner of delivery.
My motto in life: do good; be kind. it’s infectious! :) Having survived NYC for 36 years as a lawyer, I don’t know how I got so mellow. I think it is because I was in the mosh pit for so long, I got tired of it. I’m now in laid back Austin, and my type A persona hasn’t completely gone away, but I’m more aware of it than ever in a place where people are pretty gracious.
I agree that some of these threads get side tracked into “ego feats” and people with a need to degradadate others to satisfy their own insecurities. As mentioned above, with the autonomous nature of internet and a moniker to hide behind, that lashing out is only self serving at best. I look at the forum almost everyday in hopes of maybe gathering knowledge to help me in my passion or to participate and maybe share. I am sadly certain that this thread too, will fall victim to someone’s inner desire to lash out in a negative response and attempt to establish his/her point as the absolute point we all must accept as fact not opinion. Yes, civility would be much more enjoyable for all. 
One last point of my own, an analogy if I may, it is not dissimilar to how drivers become brazen and aggressive in their car, but yet meek and mild on foot.

+1 @hifiman5     This is exactly why I joined in the first place.

@whart  you make a good point in regards to how sometimes the intent is not to be snarky or harsh, but it comes off that way due to the medium we are using. No inflection of tone, hand gestures, etc. that we would be able to read if we were face to face. But, there are many times when this is obviously not the case.