Cartridges: Complete Scam?

I’m very new to analog, and researching my options on forums I keep coming across the same sentiment: that past the ultra low-end cartridges, there is very little gains in actual sound quality and that all you’re getting are different styles and colorations to the sound.

So, for example, if I swapped out my $200 cartridge that came with my table for a Soundsmith, Dynavector, Oracle, etc, I may notice a small improvement in detail and dynamics, but I’m mostly just going to get a different flavor. Multiple people told me they perffered thier old vintage cartridges over modern laser-cut boron-necked diamonds.

It’s possible that these people are just desperately defending thier old junk and/or have never heard high end audio. But if what they’re saying is true, than the cartridge industry is a giant SCAM. If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight I better get a significant improvement over a $200 bundler — and if just all amounts to a different coloration, than that is a straight-up scam ripoff.

So guys — are these forums just BS-ing me here? Is it really a giant scam?
madavid0
madavid0
... your input has had zero value, not only to me but to anyone. "Are you happy with your sound" is a meaningless question; what difference at all does it make if I’m happy or not happy with it? If I’m happy with my sound, does that mean my audiophile journey is complete -- is this the "right" mindset? What if I’m NOT happy, may I continue to pursue better sound in that case?

Wether or not I’m happy with my sound has nothing to do with achieving better sound ...
@madavid0 it looks like you were frustrated when you began this thread and that you’re even more frustrated now. My suggestion is that you schedule a visit with a good audio dealer. Then you can listen and decide for yourself.
Whoever disagree with (market) prices assumes some other
''concept '' or theory of value. Say , one assume some ''real value'' different from the (market) prices. As I try to explain with classical economist who distinguished between 'value in use'' and ''value in
exchange '' ( aka  prices) . Alas they deed not succeed to formulate any  consistent theory of  the ''real value''. Except perhaps Ricardo in his  ''corn economy'' in which all ''values'' are expressed in terms of  corn amounts. So one should be aware what one assume.  There is no other economic theory than theory of (market) prices,

So I'm browsing through the cartridge listings. It looks like the ads fall into one of two categories:

1. Dealers trying to move cartridges at full price while pretending they are massively discounted.

2. People trying to unload their old junk.

I've learned already through buying vinyl through eBay and Discogs that people habitually lie about the quality of their items -- every single "as-new", "pristine", "looks unplayed", etc, record so far has has been dirty and scuffed. Unless it's literally new in sealed factory shrink wrapping it'll end up being someone's beaten-up crap. 

Does the same mentality apply to selling cartridges? At least when a dealer is selling their lightly used cartridge for basically full price, it'll look and probably is in good shape. But some of those private ads the casings look beaten up -- why do I want your beaten up junk bro? At least sell it to move and don't lie about how wonderful it sounds!

Or is it everyone is scanning the listings non-stop for actual good deals and snap them up instantly so that all that's left are the dealers like that guy claiming to sell XYZs for 40-50% off (I do like the ones that have that cool little ball in the front...) and the old junk no one wants?

Where do you find rare cartridges that compete with the finest modern cartridges?
I don't think you do. Buying a used cart is worse than buying a used smartphone.

Yes there will be honest sellers who have took great care of their stuff. They are usually the ones who will point out the smallest of blemishes and have kept all of the paperwork. However, for every one of these there's at least a dozen who should have the phrase 'caveat emptor' emblazened over their ad and tattooed upon their foreheads.
the OP makes an amusing comparison between
Magico's and Elacs - funny thing is that Magicos really need both grunt and dexterity to really come alive - think Soulution and Constellation. You ain't gonna make em 'jump' nor would anybody pair magic's with a £400 mass market amp with significantly less power and grunt - although with the Elacs you most probably can and will. So your comparative sample merely supports the viewpoint that one does not pair a LOMC with a load of equipment that does not match the MC. bringing out the best in a top flight MC is going to be a far more expensive and fussy procedure than a £200 MM like a cheaper mass market speaker against a high end design