Devor - KEF - Vienna Acoustic – Wilson?

Hello all!

KEF Blade IIe, Devor Gibbon X, VA Listz, WAS Sabrina.

These are not the top items on the short list, but they sure do make a lot of sense and keep occupying my ‘spend thrift’ thoughts for speaker system solutions, among a couple others. I listed them in alphabetical order, not necessarily in order of personal preference.

These loudspeakers seem as diverse as they are similar in cost to performance ratios given the subjective press they have recieved.

With the exception of the Sabrina and Gibbon X, Numbers are fairly even across the board with their sensitivity, and impedance. in terms of size and weights, respectively they appear close there too. Except for the Blade II, pricing is close as well.

Designs differ and esthetics are all seemingly very nice to outstanding.

I’m asking here for any experiences someone might have with any of these speaker’s individual voices, house sounds, and esthetics, if or where applicable.

I’m simply trying to cut down the list for which ones really deserve going out of the way to audition. Or wait for in terms of build, or possibly buying used.

Although I could definitely go either way powerwise, tubes or SS, tubes are ordinarily a preference. It does depend on the speaker’s ‘voice’ and voltage needs/demands, however.

If anyone would be so kind as to add their thoughts on any of these choices unique characteristics that would be amazing.

Examples:
Demands great up stream components. Difficult to place? Needs loads of breathing room? Limited in the bottom octave (s) ?

Neutrality? Hot up top? Warm? Dark? Loose bottom end? Transparency? Imaging? Limited depth? Etc.

Hard to drive?   Not normally tube friendly? Stay away from SS?

Tremendous gratitude for any insights. Thanks much.
blindjim
I've only heard the Liszt.  Superb speakers!  Demo'd with Ayre electronics.  First, to prove a point, he powered them with the AX-7 60W integrated.  Sounded greater.  Then moved on to the AX-5, and you could definitely hear the difference.  But these are *easy* to drive.  Very transparent.  Great full sound.  Fabulous imaging and soundstage.  If I had a rich uncle, I'd have bought them on the spot.
My favorite speakers are Vandersteens....however using your current list the Blade would be my choice.   VPI uses Blades in their evaluation of their equipment.

Twoleftears > I've only heard the Liszt. Superb speakers! If I had a rich uncle, I'd have bought them on the spot.

BLINDJIM > KILLER HANDLE. COOL. THANKS
But then, that rich uncle would also have to like you too, right?

Nice new car…. OR…. A very nice pair of speakers? Life is just too hard way too often.

Did you get a feel for where the Listz land on the warm to cool or wet to dry ledger? Big, medium sized or little room?

At 4 ohms the springs flowing into them had either 120w or 250w. most speakers should be able to account well for themselves with those levels of available authority.

Stringreen > the Blade would be my choice. VPI uses Blades in their evaluation of their equipment.

Blindjim > much gratitude. VPI = Turntable, pretty much, correct?

I’m assuming you have heard the other speakers or most of them in making your choice for KEF?

Or were they just that impressive?

I’ve been noticing many audio appliance makers use several speakers with which to voice or confirm their products, especially amplifier makers. Three different types and or brands is not unusual.

IMHO ‘flexibility’ with regard to power, in a speaker system is for me a rather high priority. Along with its presentation and ability to convey the sonics coherently and cohesively in a well balanced delivery.

Speakers must recreate or geographically depict the venue persuasively .for them to be worthy candidates. Imaging, remarkable or journeymanlike, seems more key to the synergy of the complete system and room, although there must be a convincing soundstage for any speaker to grab my attention right off. imaging and honesty are always the two items which will pull me in, or leave me cold when I first hear any speaker.

Thereafter comes all the other integral aspects.

Additionally, being able to produce on a high or at its highest level, with but limited amounts of current/voltage is always a HUGE plus. Though not very often a deal breaker for me. Having the real world ability to drop merely 30 to 100 wpc on a speaker and have it really sing can not be seen as anything other than an enormous advantage.

All these asides sat down, the speaker’s actual performance that comes closest to emulating reality MUST be the deciding factor for its purchase IMHO.

How handily it arrives at naturalness and organics and with what degree of ease with respect to the amount and quality of power needed to get them there, seems to me to be the true deciding factor when choosing loudspeakers.

This is what I look for basically. And of course, how much of the bandwidth is delivered vs cost.

I’d sure not like spending upwards of $20K and then be forced to add another $5 to $10K or more, to address the bass properly. Although it seems a ‘given’ with the vast majority of passive loudspeakers.
Hi!! Thanks for the kind regards.

Irma took a toll. Been involved in the clean up. And its been significant. It ain’t all done yet either.

As well, immediate health concerns have been a morass of incredible incompetence and needless delays.

I think it has come down to one of these four unless something unforeseen but very beneficial occurs. . other more $$$$ options would be the preff, but I’m sold on one not needing incredibly expensive speakers to reveal “Wow!” listening sessions. Besides, $15 to $20K ought to gather up some pretty competent reproducers despite whose name is on them. If a used pr. By a very very well regarded seller arise, all the better. Especially if they are in the state or at least the region