Devor - KEF - Vienna Acoustic – Wilson?

Hello all!

KEF Blade IIe, Devor Gibbon X, VA Listz, WAS Sabrina.

These are not the top items on the short list, but they sure do make a lot of sense and keep occupying my ‘spend thrift’ thoughts for speaker system solutions, among a couple others. I listed them in alphabetical order, not necessarily in order of personal preference.

These loudspeakers seem as diverse as they are similar in cost to performance ratios given the subjective press they have recieved.

With the exception of the Sabrina and Gibbon X, Numbers are fairly even across the board with their sensitivity, and impedance. in terms of size and weights, respectively they appear close there too. Except for the Blade II, pricing is close as well.

Designs differ and esthetics are all seemingly very nice to outstanding.

I’m asking here for any experiences someone might have with any of these speaker’s individual voices, house sounds, and esthetics, if or where applicable.

I’m simply trying to cut down the list for which ones really deserve going out of the way to audition. Or wait for in terms of build, or possibly buying used.

Although I could definitely go either way powerwise, tubes or SS, tubes are ordinarily a preference. It does depend on the speaker’s ‘voice’ and voltage needs/demands, however.

If anyone would be so kind as to add their thoughts on any of these choices unique characteristics that would be amazing.

Examples:
Demands great up stream components. Difficult to place? Needs loads of breathing room? Limited in the bottom octave (s) ?

Neutrality? Hot up top? Warm? Dark? Loose bottom end? Transparency? Imaging? Limited depth? Etc.

Hard to drive?   Not normally tube friendly? Stay away from SS?

Tremendous gratitude for any insights. Thanks much.
blindjim

I can only comment on the Liszt and Sabrina.  The Devore X wasn't available at the time but the X and the O/96 would now be on my list. The Kef was not available near me.  The Audio Physics is another one that I wish I could have listened to.  

There are a couple of reviews in Absolute sound and Soundstage Ultra which pretty much sum up the Liszt accurately.  It is a very neutral, images well and is well balanced.  I listened to a couple of the Wilson offerings including the Sabrina.  A lot of people like them but to me the top end is fatiguing and there is a disconnect with the bass and the balance with the rest of speaker.  That's just my opinion.    After listening to about 15 different speakers I bought the Liszt.  I am using a tube pre amp and Herron solid state mono block amps.   

Quad 2912 for ultimate clarity or Harbeth M40.2 for more dynamics. But at this price there are many options, and nobody can hear them all, let alone compare them directly and in your own home.

Shadorne > Blade or Wilson gets my vote. Sound wise - do you like British or American?
…. Both have good mid range which is the first thing I would consider in any speaker.

Blindjim > thanks so very much.
owning several pairs of BW, and the Monitor Audio golds circa 2003, followed by several US brands, I’d have to say I could live with either country’s derivitives… depending.

Bass as I have seen with limited exp is not the first priority usually with English models. Top ends too, in entry level or into mid range models are often a bit too edgy for my tastes.

Probably the only real area a loud speaker must do exceptionally well apart from their mids is the upper range. Hard, harsh, strident or piercing notes simply kill me. Its likely why I went to preferring tubes over Ss. Then hearing better tweeters found where my true priorities laid.

As you said, and I sincerely agree, the mid range is key, though not the only key. Bass is important, and probably too important to me. Though the top end MUST be kind, well mannered and highly resolving. Of drivers the Dyn Audio Isotar tweeter is the best one I’ve heard so far, pretty much. It is smoking good IMHO!

Goose > …. Reviews from Absolute sound and Soundstage Ultra which pretty much sum up the Liszt accurately
Audio Physics is another one that I wish I could have listened to
…. Sabrina to me the top end is fatiguing

Blindjim > many thanks on the review agreement for the Listz.

Audio physic is on my list though their lower octave impact and delineation are big questions for me. To date I’ve not heard one stick of AP. I get the impression they image like bandits and produce great mids. Beyond that I’m clueless. I’m also not enamored by their apparent ‘or lightweight slight’ overall build. I guess I may be erroneously expecting quality speakers should have more heft to them as their costs soar. lol

Top end is too energetic even in the new Sabrina, huh?

I have been told the Sabrina’s did not suffer from the same liveliness former WAS tweeters exhibited. Albeit, the mention was provided from an audition wherein the Sabrinas wer driven by tube power which could definitely slant the account or at least imply something of a caveat.

I've only heard the Liszt.  Superb speakers!  Demo'd with Ayre electronics.  First, to prove a point, he powered them with the AX-7 60W integrated.  Sounded greater.  Then moved on to the AX-5, and you could definitely hear the difference.  But these are *easy* to drive.  Very transparent.  Great full sound.  Fabulous imaging and soundstage.  If I had a rich uncle, I'd have bought them on the spot.
My favorite speakers are Vandersteens....however using your current list the Blade would be my choice.   VPI uses Blades in their evaluation of their equipment.