Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
@rauliruegas 
I think you just hit the proverbial nail on the head. If someone has, let's say, whole house surge protection (i.e. at the fuse box) then it would negate the need for fuses, period. The same would go for anyone with surge protection for their components. Others here have done that already and like you, sing the praises of going fuse free.

An audio dealer who I live nearby told me a similar thing when I told him the benefits I got with aftermarket fuses: use a copper bar or just pullout the fuse holders and solder it up with wire and I'd be floored with what I hear.  And, that I"d never go back.

You wouldn't need a double blind, AB/X test. Just one system with fuses and another identical system without and then watch for the furrowed brows and angry retorts. 

All the best,
Nonoise

Well, I can understand that no fuse is better than fuse.  However, you are potentially setting yourself up for failure.  I'm sure you know that removing the fuse and hard-wiring will VOID any sort of manufacture warranty that you have.  The other thing you don't realize is that the fuse is meant to blow when the unit pulls more A/C current than is expected.  This can happen when you have huge inrush of current to the transformer.  However, it can also happen when there is a short somewhere in the circuit.  If the short causes significantly more current to be pulled in than expected, it can actually fry multiple elements in your circuit.  An example would be a preamp/DAC device that should not have a fuse higher than 1-2 amps.  If you remove the fuse and something shorts, you can cause more problems than just the shorted area.  Resistors blow, electrolytic caps blown, op amps, etc. etc. 

I have no doubt that it sounds better, but the risk is yours to take if you wish.  Not saying that your equipment will be fried by an uncommon short or circuit failure.  It's that 0.02% chance that something MIGHT happen.

Up to you.

Rauliruegas 9-22-2017
I decided to do it thinking that if  the power line now is fully regulated and bullet proff with surge protrectors then the item input fuses are just out of the " equation ", we don't need it any more.

Nonoise 9-22-2017
If someone has, let's say, whole house surge protection (i.e. at the fuse box) then it would negate the need for fuses, period. The same would go for anyone with surge protection for their components.
Raul & Nonoise, with due respect I'm surprised that the two of you would make such statements, as if what you have described has no downside in terms of safety.

It should not be necessary for me to explain why the approach you have described amounts to a significant safety risk, not to mention a risk to your investment in the equipment, so I won't take the time to do so.

Regards,
-- Al
@almarg & @auxinput,

Yes, yes, yes, I understand the perils of doing such a thing but please, no 'Perils of Pauline'. 😄   I like both of you guys and just looking at what I said is pretty much summed up at the end.

No fuse is better than a fuse. So, taking things a step or two further, a better made fuse is preferable to a bog standard one.

Citing people who've done it with positive results is not an outright endorsement of doing it. Imagining a world where is can be done (and maybe shouldn't) doesn't necessarily mean I will do it. I could have said it better but I think I've posted here enough for one to see what I meant.
If not:
ignosce me, pardonne moi, vergib mir, perdoname

All the best,
Nonoise
My box is in my audio room behind a home grown acoustic panel. The system sounds better with the doors removed from the panels. The system is powered down and anything with a standby is unpluged. I like what hear and feel. Tom