Member's recommendations for tube amplification

Your thoughts on options to consider:

- I'd prefer SET (open to DHT but not a requirement).

- I'm not looking for overtly warm, romantic or lush options.

- Minimum power in the teens to twenties, 10W being the floor.

- Open to higher power push-pull amps, but let's limit ceiling to around 60W.

- Single ended is fine though having XLR inputs would be nice (doesn't have to be true balanced)

- I'm cool with single chassis or monos.

- I have preferences for tube types, but leaving it open ended to get broad recommendations.

- I'm currently running an all solid state system, though have had tube based systems built around ARC, BAT, Ayon, Melody, Pathos, etc.

- Preamp will be a Pass XP-20 or the Metrum Adagio DAC direct to the amp.

- I'd like to stay around 3K used but can push the budget to 6K new/used.

- Speaker sensitivity is 94dB and higher.

THANKS!
david_ten
I used to own the original Micro ZOTL and used it on high efficiency speakers and it did quite well, were talking 98 - 104 dB. Again, I think a lot has to do with how large your room is and how loud you listen.

The ESL panels I am using now have adjustable sensitivity, from 70 - 80 dB. The impedance is pretty acceptable from 100 Hz to about 10K Hz whereupon it begins to drop down to 2 ohm pretty quickly (note the speakers do not go below 100 Hz and I bi-amp them).

Understanding the designers goal was to make a panel with a very small footprint that can provide extensive detail at low volume, he had to make significant comprises. So he said the heck with the rest of it and made a set of panels that are better than my ESL-57s, but not as flexible with amplification. While the recommendation was to use a 100 watt amp (ss or tube) I was able to use a tube amp that is 35 watts per channel to drive them cleanly getting SPL levels up to 90 dB, which is a good 10 dB more than my preferred listening level. The level of detail and clarity in the music is fantastic.

In addition to room size and listening levels, if an amps damping factor is synergistic with a speaker, a lot can be done with a little power. There is too much emphasis placed on headroom in 2-channel. although in home theater I think it's important. Less is more in many cases. Mind you I'm talking about the ability of an amp to drive a speaker cleanly to reasonable listening levels. Just because it can be done doesn't mean the listener will like how it sounds.

Coming too close to a SET amp’s maximum power output with little "headroom" left is an important consideration clio09... especially with SET amps. Ralph at Atmasphere has shared the Tech reasons behind this several times in these threads. Can you share why you think differently @clio09?

BTW....,Good to hear from you here on the Gon! I love the speaker and amp combo you have put together. What are you using for a preamp and source now?

Thanks

Try to audition Mastersound from Italy. 
I recently followed an advice and I bought the compact 845. Then the Monos PF100.
I had owned many desirable pieces under 50k. Nothing can't be compare with mastersound.  
Regards 
@mountainsong  and @lalitk 

Can you expand on why Mastersound?  Thanks.

I've had Ayon in system before and liked what they did.