Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
Tonight I've removed the Modwright 205 and reinstalled the old Oppo 105. Now I knew the mods would widen the gap between the two but, holy crap! The modded 205 ridiculously out performs the old 105. There seems to be a major veil, like someone threw a wet blanket over the speakers.

hopefully the few bugs in the 205 will be sorted out in future firmware updates.

Lance
hopefully the few bugs in the 205 will be sorted out in future firmware updates.

I hope so too. However, the firmware "updates" thus far in my opinion are analogous to having a problem with your homes foundation and then hiring a contractor to remodel the upstairs bathroom. As to their latest bug, a black widow spider is also a bug, and that is lethal to humans.
The UDP-205 disappointed me, it does NOT support Tidal, it only streams from a NAS or attached disk.  In talking with support they confirmed that Tidal or any other streaming service will not be supported which tells me Oppo has their eye off the market.

As for sound its not much better than my Modwright modified 105 and its definitely not as good as the Schiit Yggdrasil

It is however a very good 4k player!
The UDP-205 disappointed me, it does NOT support Tidal, it only streams from a NAS or attached disk.

At least in the case of not supporting Tidal, it is/was advertised as such. So no harm there because the buyer is aware before hand and can make an educated purchase (or educated choice not to purchase).

The problem I’ve discovered rises to a completely different level of egregiousness. I honestly wonder whether or not at least some of the specs are fraudulent. And while admittedly I’d be surprised if that were the case, I think it behooves Oppo to produce some kind of *third-party* scientific results (not the mere silly professional review bench tests) from a credible lab that can substantiate whether or not the unit actual outputs correct resolution, aspect ratio (which it currently does not in all cases) and audio synchronization among a myriad of other parameters.

If I as an end user was *easily* able to notice an issue in source direct mode, imagine the other problems not readily detectable by human eye/ear.