Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound

Showing 30 responses by milpai

They had this at the AXPONA this year. I lifted it and the weight was substantial. Hoping that this is better than the 105D that it replaces.
Ozzy,
Did you compare the "audio only" of the Oppo with a CDP? Please share your findings.

dbphd,
Happy Birthday to you! Please share your comparisons of this player with the rest of the players in your system.
@dbphd ,
Yes do you have excellent source, no doubt about that. And your system is also on the higher end. If anything, it should reveal any deficiencies in the Oppo or any advantages that it has. But it is this feedback from "users" that I trust rather than paid advertisements.
So will surely look forward to hearing your opinion on this player.
dbphd,
So the Oppo is not a giant killer after all. But looks like it can get get you so much closer to the mega priced dedicated CD players at a much smaller outlay. Would like to hear your opinion after a few hundred hours. May be the burn-in will get the player a notch up?
Folks who got this player, what is your conclusion? Giant killer or a regular CDP? Any comparisons to the latest standalone SACD players?
Thanks @dbphd, @gdhal and @ozzy.
What would you guys do, if you set a budget of $11k and had to buy a pair of loudspeaker and a disc player. Which of the following would you purchase:
1. $6k loudspeaker and $4.5k disc spinner
OR
2. $10k loudspeaker and the Oppo UDP-205?

I have been told that instead of going with the Oppo, I should go with some high end player from either Marantz, Luxman or Esoteric. Confusion sets in easily, when you are presented with too many options.
Thank You @gdhal, @ozzy ,@dbphd . Your feedback is much appreciated. You have added value to my decision making.
@dragon_vibe ,
Can you please explain the differences you are hearing between the Merlot and the Oppo 205? For the price difference, I would not be surprised, especially when the Merlot is a FGPA based that the designer can custom-code to their liking.
I am assuming that you got the Oppo to be used as a transport?
@dragon_vibe,
Sure, I can understand. I am curious as to which high end DACs did you compare the Oppo to. Can you provide in detail on what was missing with the Oppo and how much of a difference the high end DAC made? That will at least give us an idea of what we would miss if we were to go the Oppo route. Or it can help us justifying the cost for a real high end DAC/player. In this day and age, I am still opting for a player than a DAC. Call me old school.
I am a bit hesitant right now about the digital options in front of me.
Either I go with a $6-7k loudspeaker and a $4-5k SACD player
OR
go with a $10k loudspeaker and the Oppo.
People have suggested the second option. That way I can use the Oppo as a transport when I get a good DAC later. And this is most likely I am leaning to.

@gdhal , it is hard to believe that we cannot get a serious high end DAC under $10k.
@ozzy,
Would like to hear to hear about 2-channel audio, comparing the Oppo to the Bryston/PS Audio. Just curious about that mod.
From whatever feedback is provided in this thread and another one on the Oppo, I am coming to the conclusion that, while the Oppo is no giant killer, it's sound quality comes close to 80% of what a high end dedicated SACD player can do. Which is not bad, considering that when time comes, you can either sell this player and buy a dedicated player, OR use it as a transport with a superb DAC.
Oh come on man. Stereophile are pros. They have a separate photographer to take pics of their equipment. This (seems) like a regular guys like us. I love audio first and photography next. Can't go that wrong :-)
Update from my side - I am going with a 12k loudspeaker with the Oppo UDP-205. This should make a bigger sound upgrade than a $5k loudspeaker and $4-5k SACD player.
I got my UDP-205 today. This is really a substantial unit. It is heavier than my previous Marantz A-8260. I like it from the get go. Contrary to what I have read, this is NOT a "bright sounding" player at all. If anything, I find it has lots of details. The images are well defined and stable. The bass sounds a bit lean, but ha good definition. The player has great extension at both end of the sound spectrum compared to my existing player.
I have put the player on "repeat" for the past  couple of hours.
Forgot to mention - the Android app is a pleasure to use. No need to TV for audio playback. I tried USB stick with FLAC, MP3, DSF, etc formats and it works like a charm. Can even change the filter options from this app. I really like the convenience that this app provides.
@randy-11,
Thanks. I think a loudspeaker makes the most difference, if a upgrade is in order. I have read about MQA and have not heard it. So cannot comment on it. But the reason I specify was to make folks know that with the Beta Firmware, this is now an option.

@boisehomes,
Instead of trying to replace the 105, check with folks who have added an external DAC to their existing 105 and see if that made a big difference. Remember that with the 105
@boisehomes ,
Please check the Bryston thread at audiocircles.com. There are folks who have connected the 105 to the BDA-3 DAC. The folks from Bryston are active on that thread and can answer any questions you have.
@boisehomes,
I thought with a firmware update, DSD is possible with 105. But I may be wrong. You can use the 105 to stream DSD to a DAC with HDMI, or create DSD files using 105. You really have lots of options. I am loving my 205, but my future upgrade would be a nice DAC and use the 205 as a transport.
@boisehomes,
Don't mean to confuse you. But as I listened to music tonight, I am amazed by the DEFINITION and BASS that the 205 puts out. The bass output is so much that I am a bit worried how the new loudspeakers (on order) would behave in my room. Also, it is digging up some information that I did not hear from the CDs that I am familiar with. I think the "confusion factor" is much reduced with this player. Mind you, this is the first time I am using a player with XLR connections instead of RCA. I hope somebody who has used XLRs on both 105 and 205 is able to contribute to this thread.
I believe at this point I must have put some 160+ hours on it. I don't plan to do the 250+ hour "burn in" like some people have suggested. I already like what I am listening. Again, sorry for adding to your confusion, but my player seems to have "opened up".
@boisehomes ,
Good to know that it was a good upgrade for you. I understand that the 205 is awesome on SACDs without any mod. The mod "might" change the CD sound, but not sure on SACD. Besides spending money on the upgrades, you will also not get the value back when you sell it. As such 95% of your use is SACD. You might want to think about the mods a bit. Just a suggestion - spend that money on room treatments instead.
@gdhal ,
I certainly understand your pain. Fortunately the issue was minor and Oppo acknowledged that they would be coming up with the fix shortly.

I also let them know about the  "Reset Factory Defaults" option not being available under "Devise Setup" , on the smartphone app.
There is a green tab/button that reads "Follow this discussion". Just click on that and you will be notified every time a post is made on this topic.