Thief Alert

aircooled911 is trying to sell equipment here. I thought I purchased a Yggy dac and sent him the money along with extra for a few more items. He would not use paypal so I gave in . I know, please don't rail me for proper purchases on the internet. I have been selling and buying stereo equipment for years with no problems.
He went dark last week after a 100 or so emails. Please stay away. I have the banks involved, and my cousin is a bail bondsman/bounty hunter so it should be fun if I ever catch up with this guy. 
128x128benzman
I just sold a PrimaLuna integrated amp, without paypal, and had a flawless transaction. I've been an Audiogon member since 2001 and have perfect feedback. I choose not to use paypal due to their unreasonable bias for the buyer (or so I've heard). I don't know the profile of the alleged perp in this case. If you use caution, there is no reason not to accept checks or postal money orders for payment. BTW, The buyer of my PL joined AGon the day he made the offer to me and had no feedback. He was a perfect gentleman. 

I strongly agree with Hifiman5.

Not every rat gives off an odor.

Dweller, I feel you took a bigger risk than if you would have used Paypal. Glad in your case that it worked out well for you.

LP
+1 lpretiring   I wish we lived in a world where we didn't have to be so careful.  I receive bogus emails pretending to be from very well known reputable merchants that I fear to open lest I infect my computer.  Too bad!
I'm sorry to read this.  I've had nothing but good luck buying and selling on Audiogon, but I've been in touch with others who have run into the occasional seller who is not on the up and up.

I do always use PayPal and a credit card, just in case.
Out of curiosity, what is the etiquette for mentioning something if you think you smell something fishy.
The other day I was interested in a piece of equipment and I asked the seller a question about the voltage. He answered and later that week I noticed that his photos (posted a week after initially putting up the post) contradicted his answer. I'm a relatively new member, so not looking to cause a stink, but wonder what is customary in such a case.
I investigated a little further and noticed that all his 100% positive feedback was from before 2013. It smacked of a hacked account.
I considered asking him the same question publicly as a way of tripping him up if he wasn't legit.
Any thoughts on best practices in a situation like this?
Josh