Linn LP12......That good??

I have an Ariston RD80 (very good) and a Thorens TD 160, also very good.
How good are the Linn Lp12 tt's??
I am always looking for the best most impressive sound.
I will have to sell the Ariston/Thorens if i buy the Linn because i will not need 3 turntables!
The Ariston almost looks like the Linn by the way.
So how great are the Linn's and what is the best combination to buy?
Thanks!
x1884
rossb, you say you had a LP12 with a Radikal power supply and it had poor speed stability????? What the heck are you talking about! Poor speed stability with a Radikal power supply would lead me to say that something was drastically wrong with your set-up...so much so, that either you had a major fault with the power supply, or something else was very amiss! Too bad you couldn’t have figured out what the problem was, your investment in the table would have then made a lot of sense to you and you would NOT have posted what you did!
@rossb - I have had two Kuzmas as well; first the Reference, with a Triplanar, which was very easy to set up and run with minimal grief over isolation; then the XL, which was a huge pain to isolate given its mass, but well worth it once I got that sorted. (I now use a Minus K- a somewhat spendy solution, but pretty foolproof). Airline arm- magnificent- though bettered in some respects by other arms in aspects like bass performance, it has an effortlessness that, in combination with the big Kuzma, makes you forget a record is spinning. Downside- having to use an air compressor is added grief. Never had an issue with the arm, now going on 11 years. Air compressors- on my third one.
I remember the Linn shortly after its introduction. It was lively, gave much sparkle and life to the stuff coming off the disc. I never really paid much attention to its evolution. When I lived in Brooklyn Heights, my local hi-fi shop, Innovative, probably sold more Linn stuff than any place in the States. There was a cult around the the product line, the demonstration process, the source first approach, etc. My relations with the dealer were always cordial but I wasn't part of the club. I remember having them retube an old ARC preamp back in the early '80s- I bought NOS Telefunkens to supply them with the tubes- they were a little pissed about that for some reason- mark up on the tubes? But, the sales staff was pretty surprised at how good that old thing sounded when they had it running. 
I take no position on Linn these days-- if someone has one and likes it, fine. If someone is thinking about buying into the product today or upgrading it, I think there are other options. It is incumbent on the buyer to do their due diligence. The hard part is comparing tables and arms in a controlled way as part of the pre-purchase process. I think the owner experience is important though, and what's telling is often the "you didn't set it up right" problem. This seems to be very common with Linn and not a new phenomenon. 
There should be no magic in set-up. Experience, yes. A willingness to go to exacting lengths to get it dialed in. But part of the value of high end gear in my estimation is not only reliability in the general sense, but repeatability. Settings that can be made and pretty much left alone. Whether that is true of Linn I can take no position on- since I never owned one and doubt I ever will at this point in my life. Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of a fully updated Linn deck and arm today? @daveyf ? You should know, right?
whart, the price of a fully updated Linn LP12 is a little difficult to really nail down. The recently released 40th anniv issue with the whisky plinth came in at $40K! A limited edition model, this apparently sold out in days! Nonetheless, the Klimax model comes in at considerably less than that...appx. $20K with the Klimax case Radikal and Urika. ( Which IMO is not that much of an upgrade over the Akurate cased Radikal, but is priced considerably higher--and I would also skip the Urika phono stage).

I remember when I learned of the LP12. It was in the middle of 1974, and the table's retail price was $300! I had a Thorens TD-125 Mk.2 (with an SME 309 Series II Improved) at the time, and almost bought a Linn for myself.
daveyf, do you honestly think I would spend $20k on a turntable and not try to solve its problems? I spent 6 months with my dealer (a very experienced and highly regarded Linn technician) working on it. There was nothing wrong with the Radikal. The problem, as it always has been, is the Linn suspension, which is inherently unstable. Speed stability from any Linn deck is audibly inferior to most others, because the platter is constantly trying to balance itself on top of three compressed springs, while simultaneously resisting the sideways force of the belt. It doesn't matter how good the power supply is because the turntable design itself is fundamentally flawed, and this is audible.

I get that you like your LP12. But that does not mean that people who cannot accepts its undisputed shortcomings are deaf or fundamentally incompetent.