power for mc452 and c2600

I'm relatively new to high end audio. Had a mcintosh integrated amp for few years and now decided to upgrade to separates. Just received c2600 preamp and awaiting on mc452 amp due to arrive sometime next week. 

I don't know anything about power conditioners and protection devices. currently using monster surge protector. My questions: 

1. what is the minimum protection device that one would use for my equipment
2. does it have to be a power conditioner or just surge protection
3. how much do these "power conditioners" contribute to the overall performance? Can you objectively measure their effect? Can they worsen the performance in any way by limiting power? 
4. is there a real difference in relatively affordable (200-500) vs. higher price units (1000 and above) ? 
5. What are you using and what is your experience with it? 
6. Your recommendation on units with good reputation under $500

thank you 
ei001h
A 30 amp circuit breaker on a 20 amp circuit? Would you replace a 4 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse on any one of your components? Makes no sense!
What makes it a 20A or 30A circuit, yogi? Is it the 30A circuit breaker with 10 gauge Romex (30A rating) that makes it a 30A circuit or a "20A labeled" receptacle that makes it 20A circuit? What if the PC to the amp is verified to safely pass 30A but a "20A labeled" IEC is all that is available? It is only the prong configuration of the receptacle and IEC that makes it a "20A" circuit?

Makes no sense indeed.

Dave
For those who plug their amps directly into the wall...
do you believe that in the case of a line spike or surge, that the panel breaker will trip before a quality surge protector?

In my house, my Furman and Brickwall trip before the panel does, (or possibly at the same time). I would like to plug my amp into the wall, but I worry about the breaker delay.
I guess this would be a good reason for whole house surge protection.
@lowrider57 - what is the breaker rating on your Furman? The one I have (and used for some ancillaries, not in the audio chain itself) had a 15 amp rating, though the wall plug for the Furman is a 20 amp type. Thus, the lower amperage breaker (at the conditioner or device) ought to trip first since it is lower rated than the breaker at the panel, which is 20 amp (per dedicated circuit). I know the amplifier becomes part of the electrical circuit, but assuming both breakers- at the panel and at the device are the same rating (and both operating within their parameters) isn’t the breaker at the subpanel or panel "earlier" in the chain? (maybe this reflects my ignorance of household electrical theory and practice in terms of which breaker is going to get hit with the surge first and how the ground and return work- thus, somebody with real electrical chops should probably answer this). My amps (Lamm SETs) are fused at the IEC receptacle on the amp. I do have ’whole house’ but my impression was that this was necessary, but not sufficient, for critical equipment. (I plug straight in).

"Sorry that you do not consider my expertise sufficient, perhaps it is not. No hard feelings!"

dlcockrum, that didn't even cross my mind...! It was an honest question.