Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Best groove
I was referring to the time line laser at a 3.7 m radius
Unfortunately for me is a completely new novelty I do not know.  :(

For those interested,,,,,HERE is a video of the TT-101 with the Timeline and three tonearms to compare against the previous video with the TT-81.

And HERE is the Sutherland Engineering video demonstrating the Timeline on a belt-drive turntable with a massive platter.
Notice how the massive platter is slowed under the stylus drag of just ONE tonearm.....😱 
Richard

I believe the timeline shoots four pulses per revolution so it will be every 90 degrees - however if there is any deviation what so ever in speed in between the pulses it will be impossible for the dot to appear at the exact same spot over and over and over again.

The Roadrunner that I install in the DP80/DN308 machines use a magnet thats mounted on the perimeter of the platter, it passes over a sensor thats mounted to the plinth, a very precise oscillator/clock times the time it takes for the magnet to reappear at the sensor then calculates the precise PRM that's displayed.   

The method that the electronic one that Mikey use I believe you replay a record with a 3150Hz tone recorded into it the the reproduced signal is listened to with a microphone and how accurate the 3150Hz tone is reproduced makes for the speed accuracy calculation - this probably is the most accurate method IMO if the 3150hz test tone in the record is a steady 3150Hz tone.

Halcro I'll try to do a video of the DP80 soon - I only have a one tonearm setup.  Once I get another DN308 complete Ill do one of that one too, this possibly I could do with two arms, I still have two donors ready to be assembled - currently I'm sold out :-) these latest two will make a total of 8 units of this fabulous machines rebuilt/retrofitted. 

Good Listening

Peter
Ok Videos uploaded on Facebook on our home page PBN Audio Shows the GrooveMaster Vintage Direct DP80 with a SME 310 carrying a Ortofon MC Anna VTF 2.6 Gm playing an entire album side in this case 17 minutes and 28 seconds.  The Timeline dot is 26 feet away from the turntable center - in the 17minutes and 28 seconds the dot moves about 3 inches forward , progressively , probably indicative of the 33.334 speed indicated by the Roadrunner Tachometer.  Don't know how to calculate this but I'm certainly sure it is well within specs :-)

Once I get a DN308 online again Ill do the same experiment

Good Listening 

Peter