power for mc452 and c2600

I'm relatively new to high end audio. Had a mcintosh integrated amp for few years and now decided to upgrade to separates. Just received c2600 preamp and awaiting on mc452 amp due to arrive sometime next week. 

I don't know anything about power conditioners and protection devices. currently using monster surge protector. My questions: 

1. what is the minimum protection device that one would use for my equipment
2. does it have to be a power conditioner or just surge protection
3. how much do these "power conditioners" contribute to the overall performance? Can you objectively measure their effect? Can they worsen the performance in any way by limiting power? 
4. is there a real difference in relatively affordable (200-500) vs. higher price units (1000 and above) ? 
5. What are you using and what is your experience with it? 
6. Your recommendation on units with good reputation under $500

thank you 
ei001h
The other possibility at a this point is for the OP to obtain one or another of these units that he is asking about from a place like Music Direct or another vendor that provides a "no questions" return policy. He can then decide if there is any sonic compromise. As to surge protection, it’s kind of like insurance, you buy it, but you don’t really want to have to rely on it given the circumstances which usually give rise to a claim.
I have one of those Furmans with a rack mount face and a 20 amp plug-- used it for ancillaries, it is rugged and never had any false trips either.
Hi whart,

I had a Furman IT-Reference 20i a few years back and it is an impressively built component. I don't doubt a Furman's efficacy as a surge protector, so one of those could meet the OP's primary goal of protection, but IMO it's not likely the Furman model that sells for ~$500 (even used) will handle the current requirements of his amp.

On the 'not so much' side, the top of the line Furman I owned did little to improve sound quality compared to other brands I have since owned and heard in familiar environments. It did a great job of improving the picture quality of my projector-based HT system, but sound quality in my 2-channel system, not so much. FWIW. 

Dave
Dave, I've asked this question in more than one thread because I wasn't sure if I was in the correct topic. Also, figured I would get more opinions this way. I'm not looking for the answer I want. If anything, I am more confused by varying opinions. I will weigh all of the recommendations and go with the most recommended approach. I do appreciate what everyone has to contribute. 
Fair enough ei001h. I have found that a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff on opposing recommendations is to view the Virtual System pages of each in order to gauge credibility.

Dave