power for mc452 and c2600

I'm relatively new to high end audio. Had a mcintosh integrated amp for few years and now decided to upgrade to separates. Just received c2600 preamp and awaiting on mc452 amp due to arrive sometime next week. 

I don't know anything about power conditioners and protection devices. currently using monster surge protector. My questions: 

1. what is the minimum protection device that one would use for my equipment
2. does it have to be a power conditioner or just surge protection
3. how much do these "power conditioners" contribute to the overall performance? Can you objectively measure their effect? Can they worsen the performance in any way by limiting power? 
4. is there a real difference in relatively affordable (200-500) vs. higher price units (1000 and above) ? 
5. What are you using and what is your experience with it? 
6. Your recommendation on units with good reputation under $500

thank you 
ei001h

Showing 5 responses by lalitk

@ei001h,

I am with Matt and David on power conditioning. Congrats on your purchase, both of those components are great choices to start off your high end journey.

A dedicated 20 amp circuit would be the first thing I would address but if that’s not possible then I would look at non current impeding power / line conditioners.

Not too long I invested in Nordost QRT system and results are nothing short of amazing. One of the highlights of the QRT system is their modular approach, each products in QRT are cumulative and their effects are best heard when used as a system. I would start off with a QB4 and later add a Qv2 and Qk1 as your budget permits.

http://www.nordost.com/qrt-power-products.php

And once you settled with these components, I would suggest that you look into upgrading the Main Input and Output tubes on C2600 to something like Mullard or Telefunken. As good as the stock tubes, they are no match to one of these NOS tubes. I have tried Telefunken’s and they are very very good.

BTW, I do own couple of Furutech E-TP80’s. It’s a very good ’starting’ power strip but I wouldn’t recommend plugging your amp into TP80.

One thing I must say, you're now stepping into a territory where you wanna work with people with solid background and experiences. I would choose a dealer that has a consultative approach and not just focused on increasing his sales. I have worked with people that has not shy away from spending hours in guiding me through this journey. 

Hope this helps!
If you’re only looking for surge protection, I would recommend Environmental Potentials EP-2050 Surge and AC Waveform Corrrction. You would need to hire a qualified electrician.

Chris at VH Audio is a great guy and he will answer any questions regarding this product,

https://www.vhaudio.com/acpowerconditioning.html
@ei001h,

I would highly recommend evo3-Sirius. It's very neutral and doesn't limit dynamics. It will be a ideal match for McIntosh components which are very clean and natural sounding components.

I believe you can try one in your system risk free from 'the cable company'. 

http://www.isoteksystems.com/products/performance/evo3-sirius/

ei001h,

While I have not compared your list of powerstrips with Isotek directly, my recommendation was based on various demos at Audio shows. They would have been a obvious choice for my 2ch/HT system if I wasn't so heavily invested in Nordost QRT system. 

I think you would appreciate the industry's leading best protection and exquisite build quality of evo3-Sirius power strip with MAC components. Should you choose to go with Sirius strip, I would also recommend DIY Furutech FP-S032N - 12 AWG PC with FI-11 connectors. 

It would be a pretty darn good power strip and you can thank me later :-)

PM me if you need help with the power cord, I will be happy to build one for you.