Schiit Mani - Sent in for repair, no response. Looking for rec's on a replacement preamp

Hi Everybody - first time posting here.  I've run into a serious issue with Schiit.  My Mani ran into a hardware issue (dead left channel).  I mailed it to Schiit on July 3rd, they received it on the 10th and emailed me confirming they had received it and would get back to me in a few days, but to no avail.  I've emailed them a couple of times and just called their number and no response.  I'm getting the feeling I'll never receive my Mani back at this point and I'm not sure if I have any legal remedy to get them to respond (at this point, I don't understand why they didn't just send me a replacement unit). 

So I started looking for a replacement phono preamp.  I have a VPI Prime mounted with a Nagaoka MP-110. Budget is set at 500ish. Any recommendations that will wipe the floor with that piece of schiit?

Thanks in advance,

George 

gloco
Here is a recent comparison of some low-priced phono stages: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/eight-phono-preamps-identified-and-votes-tallied

Fremer is a big fan of the Micro iphono2 @$499. It does MM and MC.

Hope this helps somewhat. 

Dave
Like it or not. Some manufacturers take a week off in the summer for vacation. Not sure about Schitt,  But they are a legit company.  I know the delay is upsetting but I wouldn't sweat it. They will make it right. 
Be patient - they will get it back to you. Schiit has a very good reputation to uphold.

They are probably waiting on a supplier for parts - sometimes providing that information sounds like a poor attempt to placate the customer, so they say nothing. You might get a response telling you the unit has shipped

Today’s Just-in-time manufacturing can be precarious when it comes to repairs.

Granted - 16 days does seem like a long time, but it really is not

Did you like the Mani? - from what I have read there are few phono stages out there that can compete at the same price

I’ve owned the Cambridge Audio CP1 and CP2 and they were "OK", but I wasted my money, The CP2 was much better, but they both lacked clarity and dynamic performance, even after I tweaked the power supply.

If I were looking in the $500 price range I’d look at the Soundsmith MMp4 - seems to me if a company is building cartridges they must be capable of building a pretty good phono stage for $599

Or there is the Creek OBH-15 MKII Phono Preamp at $599.

OR Clearaudio Nano v2 Phono Preamp at $450

The Vincent Audio PHO-700 Tube Phono Preamp for $499 looks like a nice unit - I like that it has a separate power supply, which should improve clarity and dynamics, but some tube phono’s tend to have a little more hum than solid state designs. But if your cartridge is a good match, then the hum will fall-off into the background

And the Vincent Audio PHO-8 Phono Preamp - a solid state design at $299 - again, I like the separate power supply

I’ve never heard the Vincent range, but if a company goes to the trouble of building a separate power supply then they are OK in my books. The power supply is normally the first thing where expenditure gets chopped in most all designs of budget audio.

Clear Audio and Creek have a great reputation and I own a Soundsmith cartridge, so that’s how they got my vote

All of the above units would be a huge improvement on the Mani

I ended up with a Simaudio Moon LP 5.3 RS (around $1800 CDN) - it’s likely the last phono stage I’ll buy - it is in a different league to the others I have owned, especially when equipped with a good power cable.

SO based on that - my final vote goes to the the SIMAUDIO MOON - 110LP MM/MC Phono Preamp at $649. Its a great phono stage and will probably suit your needs for a very long time - even then you’ll be able to sell it real easy. Simmaudio gear go like hot cakes

There you have it - some varied choices - and there are many more

Take a look at Needle Doctor - they have a huge selection online and they are fast at getting them out the door

But based on my experience with the Simmaudio Moon LP5.3 RS - I’d recommend their 110LP over all of the others

Hope you get the mani Back soon - Steve
gloco-I've used that piece of Schiit,when my tubed  unit was being repaired. Not bad for $150 bucks.

Your Prime is being  underserved. If possible, up your budget and look for a used Manley Chinook for 12-1500. Then consider a nice LOMC.

im sure the Nagoaka is fine, but your table AND  ears deserve more.