Interesting article on audiophiles and audiophilia

128x128simao
Thanks for posting, another wise I would not have seen or read the article. I agree, a fun read :-)!
The article is two years old almost to the day but still as fresh as yesterday’s garbage. Pretty typical in most respects, hits all the usual audiophile soft spots....oh, my gosh, there’s even the perfunctory bit on Peter Belt (RIP), UK’s favorite dart board. What, no mention of Aftermarket Fuses?! Shame on Esquire!!
It's thought-provoking. It may be meant for non-audiophiles, but it prompts a fair bit of introspection upon this audiophile. My own belief is that we audiophiles at our very core rely on music to alter our sense of the World, just like endurance athletes who must have their "runner's high". We're mentally wired that way-music is like oxygen to us. But on top of that, we're equipment fetishists. Like car buffs who never cease to marvel at the freedom of motorized private transportation of the automobile, but also dwell on the specifics of the physical, we love the physical means-if only we could spend hours washing, waxing, and buffing our gear we would be even happier! But our hobby adds yet another fantastic element horology fans, car buffs, and gun collectors will never have-the element of mystery leant by objectively unexplainable tweaks, cables, and electronic gear that measures poorly but gives sonic nirvana. And on the other hand, I have never heard a car, watch, or gun guy complain about the pricing vs cost of materials-but we do. 
fsonicsmith,
I'm in the business, and believe me, watch enthusiasts complain about prices of timepieces and service plenty, as well as the cost of straps and bracelets.