Weakest link

How do you determine the weakest link in your set-up without any other equipment on hand?
Let's assume that the system already sounds pretty good and is balanced enough, no junk anywhere in the chain. Fun, isn't it?
inna
Kenny,
That's my point when I say we don't know what we don't know. One, we must have an open mind to try different things to listen to and let our ears determine if there is an improvement worthy of the cost. Two, we need access to different equipment without obligation to purchase. The 2nd part can be very difficult. I submit there is always an opportunity to improve, but not always feasible. At some point I hope I just accept my system as it is.

This is a like cosmetic surgery.  A little "work" might be quite complimentary, but we've all seen people who took it too far.  Is your system one of those systems where you did too much work and took it too far?  Over time any system can be improved, but when normal people see your system are they in awe and happy for you or do they go WTF and feel pity?
I listened to a system in excess of 500K and enjoyed it. Never once did I feel pity or anything else. Everyone is different. If someone has the financial means to purchase a million dollar system, house,  or car who am I to judge anyone.

Again IMO only I build components, DAC (DHT), preamp DHT,  amp and speakers.  I have built and repaired almost every major brand over the past 20 years.  The power supplies to my DAC & preamp are 35 lbs., and use high quality parts.  So based on me being able to play around with all kinds of components and build my own and modify others, the weakest link is the source, again IMO only based on being able to try so many different components in my system and others.  IMO once you get a great source then you can really hear into a system.  Yeah everything has a place but to me the source makes the biggest difference.  It was hard for me to understand this until I had the opportunity to really hear so many components in my system.  The source is what provides the soundstage, dynamics, tone, did I mention tone, separation, etc.

Happy Listening, again IMO.